International First-Time Freshman
You are an international freshman applicant if you:
- Wish to study at our university on an F-1 (student) visa or J-1 (exchange) visa,
- Are applying to one of our bachelor's degree programs,
- Have not completed any post-secondary course work at a college or university.
How to Apply as an International First-Time Freshman
Application and document deadlines for international applicants are shown in the table below.
|Semester||Application Deadline||Document Deadline|
|For Fall Admission||Oct. 1 to May 31||June 15|
|For Spring Admission||Aug. 1 to Oct. 31||Nov. 15|
See Admission Requirements at the top of this page.
Explore our majors and decide which program you'll select on your application.
It's a good idea to get everything you'll need for your application ready. As a first-time freshman applicant, you'll need:
- Official transcripts. You will be required to submit all official secondary-school records. This includes certificates, examination grades, degrees or diplomas in original language of issue. You must also include official verification of high school completion. Applicants who have studied in the U.S. are also required to have the U.S. institution(s) send official transcript(s) directly to CSUN.
- Official English translations of all academic records including certificates, degrees or diplomas.
- A copy of your passport photo page.
- Results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or other acceptable test.
- A credit or debit card. The $70 application fee is due at the time of submission and can only be paid by credit or debit card.
- Financial affidavit and bank statement. Download the Affidavit of Financial Support (.pdf) and obtain a copy of your bank statement. Both documents may be emailed to email@example.com.
Once you're ready, create an account and complete your application on Cal State Apply, the CSU's online application system. Be sure to carefully review your information before submitting.
After you apply, watch for an email from our office with the info you'll need to create an account in our CSUN WebPortal. Once you've set up an account, you can check your application status. You can expect updates regarding your admissions decision to be available in CSUN Portal in the weeks after you apply.
You will be notified by the Office of International Admissions of your admissibility to the university. If you have been denied admission to the university, you may appeal this decision. For details and instructions to submit an appeal, please see Admission Appeals.
You must submit official school records and transcripts to the Office of International Admissions. These include:
- Examination grades
- Degrees or diplomas
Your records must be sent in the original language of issue. They must also include official verification of high school completion.
Applicants who have studied in the U.S. are also required to have the U.S. institution(s) send official transcript(s) directly to CSUN.
Send all official transcripts and translations to:
California State University, Northridge
Attention: International Admissions
18111 Nordhoff Street
Northridge, CA 91330-8207
CSUN Admission Requirements
You will be considered for admission to CSUN as an international freshman if you meet the following requirements:
- You have earned a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 grading scale or an average of "B" grades on an "A - F" letter grading scale. (CSUN will convert your international GPA when you apply for admission.)
- You have met our English language requirement:
|Test Name and Website||Minimum Score Required for Undergraduate Students||How to Send Your Score to CSUN|
|Cambridge C1 Advanced English (formerly CAE)||172||Email "Confirmation of Entry" page to firstname.lastname@example.org.|
|DET – Duolingo English Test||95||Online through your Duolingo Account. See Sending Your Results.|
|EIKEN CSE – Common Scale for English||2304 (Pre-1)||Contact EIKEN online; they will send the score directly to us.|
|GTEC CBT – Global Test of English Communication Computer-Based Test||1125||Have GTEC send a copy of your "Official Score Certificate" to CSUN.|
|IELTS Academic - International English Language Test System||6.0||Have IELTS send a copy of your "Test Report Form" to CSUN.|
|iTEP Academic - International Test of English Proficiency||3.8||Have iTEP send your score to CSUN.|
|PTE Academic - Pearson Test of English||50||Online through your PTE Academic Account.|
|TOEFL - Test of English as a Foreign Language||
Internet Based score: 61
We do not accept TOEFL ITP.
|Use CSUN School Code 4707.|
Exception: The TOEFL or other English language proficiency exam is not required if you have:
- Attended a high school in the U.S. for three or more years, or
- Attended a high school where English is the principal language of instruction for three or more years
CSUN interprets "where English is the principal language of instruction" to mean that a school is located in a country where English is the daily medium of communication for the majority of residents, and that students receive academic instruction in English at all levels of education.
Countries currently meeting the above requirement are: Australia, Belize, Canada, England, Ireland, New Zealand, Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales, plus a few nations in the Commonwealth Caribbean (Antigua and Barbuda, the Bahamas, the Cayman Islands, and Trinidad and Tobago).
If you have any questions, please contact an International Admissions Advisor.
CSUN Intensive English Program and Conditional Admission
An Intensive English Program (IEP) is offered through CSUN’s Tseng College of Extended Learning. The International Admissions Office works closely with the IEP office to offer "conditional admission" to academically eligible students enrolled in the IEP. We guarantee admission to the university once these students have completed the English language requirement (TOEFL or other acceptable test). Read more at Intensive English and University Pathways.