CSUN and its Department of Journalism are now 60 years old.
To celebrate that legacy and all Journalism alumni while assisting the department and its current students, CSUN’s Journalism Alumni Association and the department are joining in on the university’s Grand Reunion by also hosting a reunion dinner on Oct. 13, beginning at 6 p.m. in the University Student Union Northridge Center. The Journalism Reunion is sponsored by CSUN’s Department of Journalism, the Journalism Alumni Association and the Oviatt Library.
Online registration before October 13 - $50
On-site/Pay at the door registration - $65
A buffet dinner will be supplied by Rosie’s BBQ and Grillery in Northridge. Tours of the department, The Sundial and Valley View broadcasting studios will precede the dinner.
Nearly 150 former Sundial editors will be recognized that night. All Sundial issues since 1958 have been digitized by the Oviatt Library, and students will be able to help you access any of your old stories on a bank of laptops.
A silent auction fundraiser will take place to provide support to the Department of Journalism. If you have an item or service to donate, please contact CSUN Journalism Alumni Association President Bob Rawitch at email@example.com. The auction will start Sept. 4 on www.biddingowl.com/CSUNJournalismAlumni.
Donations so far include:
- A two-night getaway and a round of golf at the Pechanga Resort and Casino (worth $700)
- Tickets to Southland amusement parks like the Aquarium of the Pacific and others
- Tickets to a Clippers basketball game
- Dodgers, Angels and Diamondbacks packages that include four great seats, on-field passes to watch batting practice and a meet-and-greet with each team’s manager
- Tickets to the L.A. Philharmonic, The Soraya, and other entertainment venues
- Gift certificates to restaurants
- Signed books written by journalism alums like former L.A. Times sports reporter Steve Springer
- One-on-one lunches with L.A. Times columnists Steve Lopez and Robin Abcarian
Current students will be publishing a special edition of The Sundial, and we need your contributions. Please take a few minutes and write no more than 300 words about your favorite memory of being a CSUN student. Send your memories to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will publish as many as we can. Send a current picture if you can.
I hope you will take part in the reunion, the free university-wide picnic from 2 p. m. to 6 p.m. or just the JAA dinner which starts at 6 p.m. Please register at www.csun.edu/60/journalism and bring a friend. Online registration for the JAA dinner is just $50, through October 12. On-site/at teh door registration will be $65. Don’t forget to order a 60th anniversary T-shirt.
Any questions, email JAA president Bob Rawitch at email@example.com. Hope to see you there.