Kristyan Kouri studied sociology and marriage and family therapy at the University of Southern California earning a masters degree in 1990 and a Ph.D in 1994.
Her research interests include cultural sociology, and the interactions between race, class, and gender and her scholarly publications focus upon black/white interracial couples and service-learning. She is currently in the process of co-authoring an introductory chapter for a volume on women and crime and she has completed four short biographies that will be included in this very same book. A public sociologist, Dr. Kouri also uses her knowledge in ways that are designed to bring about positive social change. She has recently written a number of Op-Eds for the Los Angeles Daily News, teaches several service-learning courses, and advocates for lecturers who work in the California State University system.
Writing for a Broader Audience/ Public Sociology
- Kouri, K. (2010). University Students Appeal to Government for Funding. Los Angeles Daily News, Opinion Section. August 13, 2010.
- Kouri, K. (2010). In Trying Times, California’s Teachers Earn Little Respect. Los Angeles Daily News, Opinion Section. February 28, 2010.
- Kouri, K. 2010. Schwarzenegger/Shriver Squandered Opportunity. Los Angeles Daily News, Opinion Section, January 10, 2010.
- Hellenbrand, H., Kouri, K. 2009. How to Alleviate the Pain Resulting from Cuts to Higher Education in State. Los Angeles Daily News, Opinion Section. November 29, 2009.
- Kouri, K. 2009. Schwarzenegger's Budget Cuts are Bad for State Colleges. Los Angeles Daily News, Opinion Section. July 29, 2009. Reprinted in the San Jose Mercury News, Pasadena Star News, and the San Gabriel Valley Tribune.
- Kouri, K. 2009. Furloughs Have Their Advantages. Los Angeles Daily News, Opinion Section. February 23, 2009.
- Kouri, K. 2008. Something Worth Tax Payers Money. Los Angeles Daily News, Opinion Section. December 28, 2008.
- Kouri, K. 2008. Cutting State Education Budget is a Huge Mistake. The Arroyo Seco Journal, May, 2008.
- Kouri, K. (2007). Feminism, Public Sociology, and Service Learning: Issues of Gender in the Primary School Classroom. In Gender Identity, Equity, and Violence: Multidisciplinary Perspectives Through Service Learning. Edited by G. B. Stahly. Stylus Publishing.
- Kouri, K. (2003). Black/White Interracial Couples and the Beliefs that Help Them to Bridge the Racial Divide. In New Faces in a Changing America. Edited by H. Debose, & L. Winters. Sage Publications, Inc.
- Kouri, K. (2000). Black/White Interracial Marriages in the United States: A Little Ideology Goes a Long Way. Crossroads of History: Experience, Memory, Orality. pp. 1209-1212. Volume III. International Oral History Association. Conference Proceedings. XIth International Oral History Conference.
- Kouri, K. & Lasswell, M. (1997). Black/white Marriages: Social Change and Intergenerational Mobility. In Perspectives on Academic Writing. Edited by A. Calderonello, D. Nelson-Beene, & S. Simmons. Allyn and Bacon. Reprint
- Kouri, K. & Lassell, M. (1993). Black/White Marriages: Social Change and Intergenerational Mobility. In Families on the Move: Migration, Immigration, Emigration, and Mobility. Edited by B. Settles, D. Hanks, & M. Sussman. Haworth Press.