WebCT4: Student Instructions for Submitting Assignments
1. Navigating the Assignment Tool
1. From the homepage of your WebCT course, click on Assignment link.
2. Click on the title of the assignment. In the example below, it would be "Final Exam".
3. Read the instructions for the assignment and made a note of the due date.
2. Creating and Saving your Assignment
1. Write your assignment in a Word-processor like Microsoft Word. Format it like any paper.
2. IMPORTANT! All files must be properly saved for your insturctor to see it. Saving your file correctly is crucial to the success in posting your assignment to WebCT.
File name conventions:
*File names will not work if there are spaces or punctuation or even, sometimes, numbers. So name your file something like: jonesfinalexam.html
*The file extension must match the file type that you are saving. Most word-processors can save different types of files. There are 3 possible ways to save for posting into WebCT.
2. .txt--If you have a short document, less than a couple of pages and don't care about the format or appearance, use this file type. Save a document written in Microsoft Word or another word-processor as: filename.txt. Save File as Type: Text Only with Line Breaks. If you write the file in Notepad, or Simple Text, just save and the file will automatically be in plain text. Your instructor will be able to read it with almost any software program. The file's contents may not be visible in WebCT, so your instructor will have to download it to his/her own computer.
3. .html--If you want your file to be easily read by the instructor in WebCT, use this file type. You will be able to format the text, but the formatting will often be somewhat different than that of the original Word file. Save a document written in Microsoft Word or web-page editor that allows html files as: filename.html. Save File as Type: HTML Documentor Webpage.
1. After uploading your file, click on Submit Assignment.
2. After submitting your file, you should come to a page which says you have successfully submitted your file.
Return to WebCT Instructions
by ccheal © 2003