PhD, Mathematics, University of California Los Angeles, 1989.
Research Area: Differential Equations and Mathematical Physics. Advisor: Gregory Eskin.
California State University Northridge, Professor of Mathematics.
African Mathematics Millennium Science Initiative Scholar, at Kigali Institute of Science and Mathematics, 12/2008-1/2009.
Fulbright Scholar at the Kigali Institute of Science and Technology, 1/2007-6/2007.
Princeton University, Visiting Fellow, 1/1996-6/1996.
Centre de Physique Theoretique, Marseille, France, Visiting Professor, 7/1991 -12/1991, one month in summers 1992, 1993, 2003.
UCLA, Adjunct Professor, 1990-91.
Universite de Paris Sud, France, Chateaubriand Fellow, 1989-90.
CSU Aligning the Mission and the Budget
- Remarks from the BoT Finance Committee, by Harry Hellenbrand and Carol Shubin, March 2013, text (PDF)
- The Way to Increase Productivity: Allow More Campus Autonomy, text (PDF)
- A Plan for CSUN Equity Increases, by Carol Shubin, Werner Horn, Ivor Weiner, Feb. 2013, text (PDF)
- The Case for Equity Increases for CSUN Instructional Staff, Jan 2013, text (PDF)
- Comments to the CSU Board of Trustees Finance Committee, Jan 2013, text (PDF)
- Letter to the Board of Trustees President, Bob Linscheid, Jan 2013, text (PDF)
- CSUN Forum on Tax Initiatives - Prop 30 and Prop 38, Sept. 2012. (link and article)
- CSUN: Prop 30 & 38 debate, Sept. 2012. (Part 1 and Part 2)
- The Case for Increasing Enrollment and Leveraging Marginal Costs: CSUN Case Study, by H. Hellenbrand, W. Horn, C. Shubin and J. Stinner, Aug. 2012. To appear in the Journal of Higher Education Management (v.28, N.1). (PDF)
- A Faculty Member's Perspective on CSUN Faculty, Aug. 2012. (PDF)
- CSU Board of Trustees, Finance Committee, July 2012. (PDF)
- On CSUN Students, by Carol Shubin and Werner Horn, July 2012. (PDF)
- Aligning the CSU Mission and Funding, by Carol Shubin, Ivor Weiner, and Cheryl Spector, June 2012. (PDF)
- CSU Crisis in Priorities; No Enrollment Cuts, April 2012. (PDF)
- Recommended Revisions to the California State University Northridge 10-Year Resource Study (draft 1/31/2012), by Carol Shubin and Werner Horn, Department of Mathematics, CSUN, March 2012. (PDF)
- On Receiving the Boot: a Comic Response to Provost Hellenbrand's Essay "Time to Reboot", Feb. 2012. (PDF)
- CSU Future: Proposed Funding Topics, Nov. 2011. (PDF)
- General Fund Spending Priorities, Nov. 2011. (PDF)
- What is Shared Governance? Nov. 2011. (PDF)
- One Billion Dollar Bet to CSU Board of Trustees, Address to the CSU Board of Trustees Finance Committee, Nov. 2009. (PDF)
- Letter to the CSUN Faculty Senate, Aug. 2009. (PDF)
CSU Future Group Meetings
- CSU Future Talking Points, April 2012. (PDF)
- Funding the Future of the CSU, April 2 and 3, 2012. Symposium Report and Summary of Working Sessions.
- CSU Future Choices. Letter to Senate Executive Committee, August 2011. (PDF)
- Formation of a CSU Choices Group, Letter to Executive Committe Academic Senate Aug. 2011. (PDF)
- CSU, The Next 50 Years, April 22, 2011
- The Times They Are a-Changin', January 18, 2011
- Subgroups for the CSU Choices Group, Aug. 2011. (PDF)
Forbidden Topics Seminar Series
- Forum on Shared Governance, Nov. 2012. (PDF)
- Forum on Spotlight on SFR, May 2012. (PDF)
- Forum on Professional Representation, Oct. 2011. (PDF)
- Forum of CFA, Faculty, and the Future of the CSU May 2011. (PDF)
Mathematics Online: Reports
- Improved Enrollment and Pass Rates in Calculus I, by W. Horn and C Shubin. (PDF)
- Online Calculus Tutoring, by A. Alekseenko, C. Shubin, J. Polewczak and S. Cullen, Department of Mathematics, CSUN, Feb. 2011. (PDF) Funded by Academic Affairs
- California State University Online Math Tutoring Support Center: Homework, Assessment and Tutoring to Support Students, Project Proposal May 2011. (PDF)
- USAID Unsolicited Concept Paper, by Carol Shubin, Department of Mathematics, CSUN, March 2011. (PDF)
- Online Math Tutoring Services Aimed at Increasing Retention for Students in M150A Calculus I , Sept. 2010 (PDF)
- Moodle versus WebCT 8 and Blackboard 9 by Jacek Polewczak and Carol Shubin (PDF and HTML)
- An inverse problem for the Schrodinger equation with radial potential, Journal of Differential Equations, vol. 103 #2, (1993), 47-259.
- (with R. Carlson) Spectral rigidity for radial Schrodinger operators, Journal of Differential Equations, vol. 113 #2, (1994), 338-354.
- (with G. Stolz) Spectral theory of one-dimensional Schrodinger operators with point interactions, Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications, vol. 184 #3, (1994), 491-516.
- Singular perturbations of integral equations with degenerate kernels, Journal of Integral Equations and Operator Theory, vol. 24, (1996), 328-351.
- (with R. Carlson and R. Threadgill*) Sturm-Liouville eigenvalue problems with finitely many singularities, Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications, vol. 204, (1996), 74-101.
- (with W. N. Everitt, G. Stolz, and A. Zettl) Sturm-Liouville problems with an infinite number of interior singularities, Lecture notes in pure and applied mathematics vol. 191, (1997), 211- 250.
- (with R. Vakilian and T. Wolff) Some harmonic analysis questions suggested by Anderson-Bernoulli models, Journal of Geometric and Functional Analysis, vol. 8, (1998), 932 - 964.
- (with W. Horn) Analytic treatment of a bridged crack problem, Zamm 81 (2001) 5, 317-324.
- (with W.Schlag and T. Wolff) Frequency concentration and localization lengths for the Anderson model at small disorders, Journal D'Analyse Mathematique vol.88, (2002), 173-220.
- (with T. Wolff) Contraction estimates on groups, Proceedings of the Conference in Honor of Leonid Pastur, Markov Processes and Related Fields, vol 9 #4, (2003), 829-840.
- Singularly perturbed integral equations, Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications, 313 (2006) 234-250.
* Threadgill was an undergraduate co-author.
(T. Wolff) Lectures on Harmonic Analysis, American Mathematical Society, University Lecture Series, Vol 29 (Editors: I. Laba and C. Shubin), 2003.
Other Editorial Work
(T. Wolff) A general contraction property of PSL(2,R), Journal D'Analyse Mathematique vol.88, (2002), 7-26.
(T.Wolff) A general spectral gap property for measures, Journal D'Analyse Mathematique vol.88, (2002), 27-34.
All work was NSF supported.
NASA named the CSUN/JPL PAIR program as "Exemplary" in its Minority Education Initiatives Report to the White House, 2000-01.
Received CSUN Outstanding Professor award, 2006.
PAIR Program Created & Taught Courses
- Global Positioning Systems and Earthquake Fault Determination PAIR Site.
- Satellite Navigation and Orbit Determination Moodle Site and PAIR Site.
- Analysis of Solar Irradiance Data PAIR Site.
- Voice Recognition Moodle Site and PAIR Site
- Diffusion Tensor Imaging PAIR Site.
- Statistical Determination of Unknown Molecular Weights Moodle Site and PAIR Site.
University-wide Committee Membership 2012-2013
- Faculty Committee on Extended Learning
- International Education Council
- University Planning and Budget Group
- CSU Future Group, event committee member
Systemwide Committee Membership 2012-2013
Course Identification Numbering System (C-ID): FDRG and CORE Discipline Review Group Members and Course Outline of Record Evaluators
Fulbright Pre-departure Resource Person (6/2008), Fulbright Meeting at CSUN (4/2008), Sacramento State (11/2007), CSUN Colloquium (10/2007), KIST Colloquium (5/2007), CSUN Colloquium (5/2005), Princeton (4/2003), AMS/MAA Joint National Meeting, Baltimore (1/2003), University of California Los Angeles (12/2002), California Science Center - NASA Meeting (6/2002), International Meeting of Random Schrodinger Equations, CIRM, France (5/2002), American Mathematical Society (AMS) Special Session (12/2001), University of California, Irvine (11/2001)