Seminar in EOH Problems
I'm not teaching 554 this semester, but I'm leaving these materials online for future courses (and, of course, if some may find it helpful).
1) use library resources to access the environmental health literature (minimum of 10 references in final paper),
2) prepare an introductory pre-paper (about 5 pages) and comprehensive final paper (about 20 pages) that summarizes, analyzes, and critiques the literature on a selected problem in environmental health,
3) deliver a clear oral presentation of the analysis in an interdisciplinary setting (30-45 minutes), and
4) ask effective questions about presentations by colleagues (about 5-15 minutes for each presentation).
Special thanks to my colleague, Dr. Peter Bellin, for these additional guidelines:
The following sites offer a range of perspectives on research and technical writing. These sites are NOT specific to Environmental and Occupational Health, so use what you can and disregard the rest. However, I think it helps to see what the major research institutions are doing (some of it can be disappointing, but all of it is instructive). My real purpose for including these sites is to stimulate discussion about writing -- send me an email or drop by during office hours to follow up on these issues.
1. The boss is always right, even if he's wrong. (know your audience). 2. It is better to be clear than to be brilliant. (trim the fat). 3. Welcome to America. (use a dictionary for American spellings, use plain English) 4. The English language permits first person. (but don't overdo it). 5. Use a computer. (edit, edit, edit!). 6. Your first draft should be quick and dirty. (it avoids writer's block and emphasizes follow-up editing) 7. Chapter last: why this paper is important. (the conclusion must justify the paper). 8. Chapter 1: the butler did it. (technical writing is not like a novel). 9. Use an outline. (focus on smooth transitions). 10.Be fussy about your abstracts and summaries. (first and last impressions are most important).
Page updated: 3/7/99