CSUN Wind Ensemble in concert at Chicago Orchestra Hall, 2016
Concert Band Auditions for the 201617 Year
(updated: August 3, 2016)
Fall 2016 Auditions for the CSUN Wind Ensemble and Wind Symphony:
- Auditions will take place the week prior to the start of the fall semester. Auditions for each instrument will take place on a specific date and time. (see below)
- The audition music (excerpts) for each instrument is posted below. Click on the name of your instrument to download the audition music. Bring your own copy of the music to your audition.
- Sign-up for an audition time on the list that will be posted outside Dr. Stoffels office door, Cypress Hall 210. The sign-up list will be posted beginning on Friday, August 19th.
- Flute Wednesday, August 24th, 1:003:00 PM
- Oboe Thursday, August 25th, 4:406:00 PM
- Bassoon Thursday, August 25th, 4:406:00 PM
- Clarinet Thursday, August 25th, 9:0011:45 AM
- Saxophone Wednesday, August 24th, 3:306:00 PM
- Trumpet Friday, August 26th, 3:004:45 PM
- French Horn Thursday, August 25th, 3:004:00 PM
- Trombone Thursday, August 25th, 12:302:15 PM
- Bass Trombone Thursday, August 25th, 12:302:15 PM
- Euphonium Friday, August 26th, 9:0010:30 AM
- Tuba Friday, August 26th, 9:0010:30 AM
- String Bass Friday, August 26th, 9:0010:30 AM
- Percussion Note special date: Saturday, August 27nd, 10:45 AM12:45 PM, Cypress Hall 159.
See "Percussion Auditions" information below for details.
- Piano Please contact Dr. Stoffel if you are interested in auditioning as a concert band pianist. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Auditions for Wind Instruments & String Bass
- Prepared Audition Excerpts
It is critically important to familiarize yourself with the band works from which the excerpts are taken. Listen to multiple recordings of the works to help understand tempo possibilities, style, and context from which the excerpts come. Use YouTube as a valuable resource for recordings.
The audition will include some sight-reading. In addition to accurate note-reading, successful sight-reading should demonstrate musical phrasing, style, and expression.
• Auditions for Percussion
- The audition for percussionists will be administered by the percussion studio faculty. Contact Dr. John Roscigno for the audition information and music.
- Clear your class schedule now! You will not know which concert band you'll be assigned to until after auditions are completed. So for the time being, keep your schedule open during both concert bands' rehearsal times: M/W 3:304:50 PM (Wind Symphony), and Tu/Th 1:003:40 PM (Wind Ensemble).
- Click here for additional information for new students and non-music majors.
- To learn more about CSUN's acclaimed band program, click here.
- Please ask Dr. Stoffel in person or by E-mail for any clarification or scheduling problems. E-mail: email@example.com.