CSUN Wind Ensemble & Wind Symphony
Concert Band Auditions for the 201314 Year
(updated: July 31, 2013)
Auditions for the CSUN Wind Ensemble and Wind Symphony:
August 21, 22, and 23
- Auditions for each instrument will take place on a specific date and time.
- The audition music (excerpts) for each instrument is posted below. Click on the name of your instrument to download the audition music. Bring your own copy of the music to your audition.
- Sign-up for an audition time on the list that will be posted outside Dr. Stoffels office door, Cypress Hall 210. (The sign-up lists will be posted on August 19th.)
- All auditions will take place in Cypress Hall 210 unless otherwise noted.
- Flute Wednesday, August 21st, 9:0011:30 AM
- Oboe Friday, August 23rd, 1:152:15 PM
- Bassoon Friday, August 23rd, 1:152:15 PM
- Clarinet Wednesday, August 21st, 12:002:30 PM
- Saxophone Wednesday, August 21st, 3:104:30 PM
- Trumpet Friday, August 23rd, 9:0010:30 AM
- French Horn Friday, August 23rd, 2:453:45 PM
- Trombone Thursday, August 22nd, 9:0010:15 AM
- Bass Trombone Thursday, August 22nd, 9:0010:15 AM
- Euphonium Friday, August 23rd, 11:45 AM12:45 PM
- Tuba Friday, August 23rd, 11:45 AM12:45 PM
- String Bass Friday, August 23rd, 11:45 AM12:45 PM
- Percussion T.B.A., Cypress Hall 159.
See "Percussion Auditions" information below for details.
• Auditions for Wind Instruments & String Bass
- Prepared Audition Excerpts
The audition music is posted above. It is critically important to familiarize yourself with the band works from which the excerpts are taken. Listen to multiple recordings of the works to help understand tempo possibilities, style, and context from which the excerpts come. Use YouTube as a valuable resource for recordings.
The audition will include some sight-reading. In addition to accurate note-reading, successful sight-reading should demonstrate musical phrasing, style, and expression.
• Auditions for Percussion
- The audition for percussionists will be administered by the percussion studio faculty. Contact Dr. John Roscigno for the audition information and music.