CSUN Wind Ensemble & Wind Symphony
Concert Band Auditions for the 201516 Year
(updated: July 28, 2015)
Fall 2015 Auditions for the CSUN Wind Ensemble and Wind Symphony:
- Auditions will take place the week prior to the start of the fall semester. Auditions for each instrument will take place on a specific date and time. (see below)
- The audition music (excerpts) for each instrument is posted below. Click on the name of your instrument to download the audition music. Bring your own copy of the music to your audition.
- Sign-up for an audition time on the list that will be posted outside Dr. Stoffels office door, Cypress Hall 210. The sign-up list will be posted beginning on Wednesday, August 12th.
- Flute Wednesday, August 19th, 9:0010:55 AM
- Oboe Friday, August 21st, 3:304:30 PM
- Bassoon Friday, August 21st, 3:304:30 PM
- Clarinet Thursday, August 20th, 9:0010:40 AM
- Saxophone Wednesday, August 19th, 3:005:00 PM
- Trumpet Thursday, August 20th, 11:15 AM1:10 PM
- French Horn Friday, August 21st, 12:101:15 PM
- Trombone Wednesday, August 19th, 11:45 AM2:00 PM
- Bass Trombone Wednesday, August 19th, 11:45 AM2:00 PM
- Euphonium Thursday, August 20th, 2:003:10 PM
- Tuba Thursday, August 20th, 2:003:10 PM
- String Bass Thursday, August 20th, 2:003:10 PM
- Percussion Note special date: Saturday, August 22nd, 10:45 AM12:45 PM, Cypress Hall 159.
See "Percussion Auditions" information below for details.
• Auditions for Wind Instruments & String Bass
- Prepared Audition Excerpts
It is critically important to familiarize yourself with the band works from which the excerpts are taken. Listen to multiple recordings of the works to help understand tempo possibilities, style, and context from which the excerpts come. Use YouTube as a valuable resource for recordings.
The audition will include some sight-reading. In addition to accurate note-reading, successful sight-reading should demonstrate musical phrasing, style, and expression.
• Auditions for Percussion
- The audition for percussionists will be administered by the percussion studio faculty. Contact Dr. John Roscigno for the audition information and music.
- Click here for additional information for new students and non-music majors.
- Clear your class schedule now! You will not know which concert band you'll be assigned to until after auditions are completed. So for the time being, keep your schedule open during both concert bands' rehearsal times: M/W 3:304:50 PM (Wind Symphony), and Tu/Th 1:003:40 PM (Wind Ensemble).
- To learn more about CSUN's acclaimed band program, click here.
- Please ask Dr. Stoffel in person or by E-mail for any clarification or scheduling problems. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.