CSUN  Wordmark
Access Keys

This information applies to pages in the CSUN template system. Windows-press ALT + an access key. Macintosh-press CTRL + an access key.

The following access keys are available:

Michael D. Eisner College of Education

special education


OPEN LETTER TO: Special Education Preliminary Level I Credential Candidates

From: Nancy Burstein Chair, Department of Special Education

Re: New Special Education Standards

Date: April 5, 2010

I am writing to inform you about changes in special education programs due to new standards mandated by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing and approved at California State University, Northridge (CSUN) in March 2010. Beginning Fall 2010, you will have an option of continuing in your current credential program or transferring to the new credential program, based on the new standards. If you completed student teaching (SPED 580) or the final SPED 506 (intern practicum) prior to fall semester 2010, you are not eligible to transfer to the new program.

I encourage you to meet with your advisor in the Department of Special Education to determine the most appropriate program for you to complete. The existing and new programs are approximately the same length in units. However, major changes are the following:

• In the new programs, authorizations of all Education Specialist options include Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). In the existing programs, only candidates in Moderate/Severe Disabilities and Early Childhood Special Education are authorized to teach students with autism.

• In the new programs the Level II requirement, completed through a university, is eliminated. Instead, candidates will have the option of clearing the credential through a University or a school district or a university. The clear university credential will require no more than 12 units of coursework.

If you decide to remain in the current Level I Education Specialist Credential Program you must complete the program before January 31, 2013.

LINKS TO CHARTS for each credential program that show course substitutions for the existing and new programs and a form, Confirmation of Decision to Remain in Current Program or Transition to the New Program can be found on this website. Please download, complete, and then print form. Submit it to the Credential Office indicating whether you will remain in the current program or transfer to the new program and see an advisor if you have questions.

FORM: Confirmation of Decision to Remain in Current Program or Transition to the New Program (.doc file)

Program Substitutions: (PDF files)

DHH Program Substitutions | ECSE Program Substitutions | MM Program Substitutions | MS Program Substitutions | ITEP MM Program Substitutions