Instructor: Dr. Deqing Ren
Classroom and Time: LO 1124, Tuesday and Thursday 12:30 pm ~ 13:45 pm.
Class Number: 15183
Web page: http://www.csun.edu/~rd436460/Electromagnetic_Field.html
Instructor Office: LO 1124A
Office Hours: Thursday 14:00 - 16:00, and by appointment
The course covers the textbook Chapter 1 Vectors, Chapter 2 Coulomb's Law, Chapter 3 Electric Field, Chapter 4 Gauss's Law, Chapter 6 Conductors in Electrostatic Energy, Chapter 7 Electroststic Energy, Chapter 9 Boundary Conditions at a surface of Discontinuity, Chapter 10 Electrostattic in the Presence of matter, Chapter 12 Electic Currents, Chapter 13 Ampere's Law, Chapter 14 The magnetic Induction, Chapter 15 The Integral Form of Ampere's Law, Chapter 17 Faraday's Law of Induction, Chapter 18 magnetic Energy, Chapter 20 magnetism in the presence of matter, and Chapter 21 Maxwell's Equations. These parts have important applications and are the core of modern physics.
To gain basic knowledge, and understand the main principles, of the elctromagnetic field and their applications to specific areas. Students will learn how to find the solutions to specific questions by applying the electromagetic principles and equations. Students will be able to understand and derive important laws, including
1) Students are expected to attend class and participate by asking questions and answering questions raised by the instructors. Class attendance takes 10% of the total grade.
2) The homework assignments make up 40% of the total grade.
3) There will be one midterm (20%) and one final exams (worth 30% of the total grade). Mark your calendar with the exam dates. You are responsible for being there on time. If you have a religious holiday conflict, let me know during the first week of classes. During an exam you must avoid looking at the work of others.
The grade distribution will be as follows.
A 88% and higher
F 40% and below
We use the +/- system so in each range (no A+), the low end will be minus and the high end plus.
1) Homework will be assigned once a time per chapter, and will be turned in one week late brfore it is due.
2) Homework solution will be posted below and replaced before next homework is due. Please download it and check your answers if you have any question to your answers.
Final Exam :DEC 15, 2011 12:45 PM - 02:45 PM ( LO1124)
||Lecture On These Sections||Comments|
|2. Coulomb's Law|
|3. The Electric Field|
|4. Gauss's Law|
|5. The Scalar Potential|
|6. Conductor in Electostatic Fields|
|7. Electrstatic Energy|
|Midterm Exam||Room LO 1124: 12:30 ~ 1:45PM|
|9. Boundary Conditions at a Surface of Discontinuity|
|12. Electric Currents|
|13. Apere's Law|
|14. Magnetic Induction|
|17. Faraday's law of Induction|
|18. Magnetic Energy|
|21 Maxwell's Equations|
|Dec. 15, Thursday||Final Exam||Room LO 1124: 12:45 PM - 02:45 PM|
DM LabVIEW Download