Review Questions Chapter 6-7
1) Which of the following has the greatest momentum?
a. A truck with a mass of 2250kg moving at 25m/s
b. A car with a mass of 1210kg moving at 51m/s
c. A truck with a mass of 6120kg moving at 10m/s
d. A car with a mass of 1540 moving at 38m/s
2) What velocity must a 134kg car have to reach the momentum of a 2680kg truck traveling at a velocity of 15m/s W?
3) When comparing the momentum of 2 moving objects, which of the following is correct?
a. The object with the higher velocity will have less momentum if the masses are equal
b. The more massive object will have less momentum if its velocity is greater
c. The less massive object will have less momentum if the velocities are the same
d. The more massive object will have less momentum if the velocities are the same
4) A roller coaster climbs up a hill at 4m/s and then zips down the hill at 30m/s. Throughout the ride, the momentum of the roller coaster
a. Remained the same
b. Was zero
c. Was greater up the hill than down the hill
d. Was greater down the hill than up the hill
5) A person sitting in a chair with wheels stands, causing the chair to roll backward across the floor. The momentum of the chair
a. Was zero while stationary and increased when the person stood.
b. Was greatest while the person sat in the chair
c. Remained the same
d. Was zero when the person got out of the chair and increased while the person sat.
6) If a force is exerted on an object, which statement is true?
a. A large force produces a large change in the objectís momentum
b. A large force produces a large change in the objectís momentum only if the force is applied over a very short period of time
c. A small force is applied over a long time interval can produce a large change in momentum
d. A small force produces a large change in the objectís momentum
7) A 0.06kg ball moves at a velocity of 12m/s. The ball is struck causing is to rebound in the opposite direction at a speed of 18m/s. What is the change in the ballís momentum?
Last modified: April 19, 2004