1. Name the three principle electric charges and their charges.
2. Describe the nature of forces that act between unlike charges and like charges.
3. Explain how an object can develop an overall electric charge.
4. Define electric field.
mater is made up of atoms.
smallest particle of an element having all of its properties
up of even smaller subatomic particles – protons, neutrons and electrons
– are found in the nucleus and have a positive charge
– are found in the nucleus and have no charge
– orbit around the nucleus in energy shells and have a negative charge
of an atom is determined by adding the protons and neutrons
charged particles come near each other, they give rise to 2 different forces.
that a force is a push or a pull)
Attraction – The force that pulls objects together.
It exists between oppositely charged particles.
Repulsion – The force that pushes objects apart. It exists between same charged particles.
nature, elements reside in their neutral state.
does this mean?
the protons occupy the nucleus of the atom, the electrons must travel outside
the nucleus in orbitals.
can be moved from one element another.
movement of electrons makes the particles charged. The one that looses the electron has a relative positive
charge and the one that gains the electron has a negative charge.
2 charged particles come close to each other they experience a force.
charges are alike, they are repulsed from each other.
charges are alike, they are attracted to each other.
force they feel is due to electric fields around each other.