An Inconvenient Truth is a film that presents an argument. This argument is:
- that human use of resources is releasing increasing amounts of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere,
- which is leading to increased temperatures,
- which are in turn changing our environment in ways that are and will increasingly continue to be harmful to the earth and its people.
- It is both governments’ and individual people’s responsibility to improve the situation by their actions. This is both a political and a moral imperative.
An Inconvenient Truth finishes with this statement:
- Future generations may well have occasion to ask themselves: ‘What were our parents thinking? Why didn’t they wake up when they had a chance?’ We have to hear that question, from them, now.’
After you have viewed the film, please write a 1000 word analysis in response to the following questions. Use at least five (5) specific references from the film (including quotes), An Inconvenient Truth, to prove your points! Make sure the quotes/outside references make up no more than 20% of your final word count.
- 1. Do you agree that human activity is creating greenhouse gases that are contributing to global warming that may create harmful effects in the world?
- 2. If not, demonstrate/provide evidence that human activity is not having this effect.
- 3. Do you believe that you have a personal responsibility to act in a way that reduces personal greenhouse gas emissions?
- 4. Do you agree with Gore’s statement above?
- 5. How would you answer the question?