- Philosophy of Race and Racism
- Political Philosophy
- "Savages, Wild Men, Monstrous Races: The Social Construction of Race in the Early Modern Era", in
- Beauty Revisited (2011)
- "Mestizaje and Hispanic Identity"
- Blackwell Companion Guide To Latin American Philosophy (2009)
- "Where Do Virtues Get Their Goodness?"
- Conceptions of Virtue East and West (2005)
- "Beyond Mestizo Identity: The Future of Race in America"
- in New Faces in a Changing America: Multiracial Identity in the 21st Century reprinted in Contemporary Moral Issues: D (2002)
- in Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy (1998)
- "Natural Affection and Responsibility for Character: A Critique of Kantian Views of the Virtues"
- in Identity, Character, and Morality: Essays in Moral Psychology (1990)
- "What is Virtue Ethics All About?"
- American Philosophical Quarterly (1990)
- "Supererogation, Wrongdoing, and Vice: On Autonomy of the Ethics of Virtue"
- Journal of Philosophy 83 (1986)
- "Blackness, Hypodescent, and Essentialism: Commentary on McPherson and Shelby's Blackness and B