Public Health Nurse Certificate
Section 2818(a) of the Business and Professions Code requires that in order to be employed as a public health nurse or use the term “public health nurse” in California, an individual must possess a valid California Public Health Nurse (PHN) Certificate.
The CSUN Nursing Program curriculum is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing to prepare eligible applicants for certification in public health nursing in California. Certification is granted by the Board of Nursing (BRN) after completion of curriculum and application to the Board.
Procedures for PHN application: Visit California BRN website and then CSUN Nursing website
- Evidence of a permanent California RN license that is current, clear, and active. (A temporary license or interim license is not acceptable.)
- Possession of a baccalaureate degree documented by one of the following:
- Official transcripts from a school accredited by the National League of Nursing (NLN) or the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE), which includes course work in public health nursing.(Graduates of the CSUN RN to BSN Program, see Nursing Advisor.)
- Official transcripts for a degree in a field other than nursing, and completion of required CSUN coursework with a minimum of C in each course.
- Official transcripts from an accredited BSN foreign institution and completion of required CSUN coursework with a minimum of C in each course. Foreign transcripts need to be evaluated by an approved international evaluation service.
- Basic computer skills.
Requirements for the Public Health Nurse Certificate
- Required Courses: (29 Units)
|NURS||302||Basic Pathophysiology (3)|
|NURS||306||Supportive/Educative Nursing System (3)|
|NURS||307/L||Health Assessment in Self Care Agency and Lab (2/1)|
|NURS||308||Family Systems Nursing (3)|
|NURS||310||Principles of Nursing Research (3)|
|HSCI||390/L||Biostatistics and Lab (3/1)*|
|NURS||426||Nursing Systems Issues and Ethics (3)|
|NURS||428/L||Community Health Nursing and Lab (3/2)|
|HSCI||488||Epidemiology, Study of Disease (3)|
* These are the Board of Registered Nursing Requirement. Current Nursing CSUN students may not be required to take Biostatistics. Please consult with your advisor