Defeat the California Civil Rights Initiative!
After former KKK member David Duke's visit to CSUN and the ensuing "riot," the debate over affirmative action is raging amongst the CSUN community. This page includes resources for students interested in learning more about the politics and issues surrounding Affirmative Action. I am opposed to the CCRI and have included links to resources that explain the rationales and justifications for affirmative action, as well as resources devoted to opposing Proposition 209, California's misleadingly named "Civil Rights Initiative."
For the benefit of informed debate I am including a couple of links to pro-CCRI resources. While this web site will no doubt help students opposed to the CCRI gather information to defend their viewpoints, I strongly encourage students who are in favor of the CCRI or undecided on the issues to visit all of the sites below and compare the arguments for and against affirmative action. It is my strong feeling that any reasonable human being with half a brain that has access to all the relevant information regarding the issue will reach a similar conclusion as I have; this web page is one attempt to get the relevant information out there.
The debate over affirmative action, like any debate over racial issues today, has become volatile and highly charged. Students who find themselves "in the middle" or "undecided" tend to find the controversial nature of this issue alienating. Not everyone who supports the CCRI is a KKK-style racist, and not everyone who opposes the CCRI is a "reverse" racist, but you wouldn't know that from the dominant representations of this debate in California.
I strongly oppose the "myth of the middle ground." To say that "I have no politics" is really to say that "My politics are someone else's." Make informed decisions about important issues such as these! Mainstream mass media resources will only give you part of the story. Always seek out alternative sources of information, and make your own decisions.
Government Sources of Information:
Know Thine Enemies:
- Affirmative Action: What Is It? A brief but informative analysis from Californians for Social Justice. Visit their main page for more information.
- Acción Afirmativa: ¿Qué es? Same as above, en Español
- Affirmative Action Brochure maintained by the California branch of the American Civil Liberties Union. Includes an outstanding detailed legal analysis of the CCRI from Law Professor Erwin Chmerinsky. One of the best resources on the CCRI I have seen on the web.
- Affirmative Action and Higher Education: A pamphlet written by Rini Chakraborty and Marci Takumi of Speak Out! I couldn't find the text of this on the web, so I have posted it here in very large JPEG image files.
- Affirmative Action Myths and Facts: a concise refutation of some of the more common myths about affirmative action.
- Reverse Racism: An excellent analysis of the issue by Stanley Fish.
- Affirmative Action and the Media -- great article on the Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting Web Site
- Berkeley's No on CCRI page
- The CCRI - from Ken's California Voter's Guide. Includes the annotated text of the CCRI.
- California Votes NO on CCRI: Great activist resource
- Angry White Guys Against the CCRI: Read about the ways in which the CCRI will negatively affect white Americans.
- Affirmative Action: the Impact on Women. Did you know that the greatest beneficiaries of affirmative action are white women?
- Expanding Opportunities for Women, a statement from Feminist Majority
- The California Civil Wrongs Initiative: short but sweet, a resource against the CCRI from Sacramento's Students for Social Justice.
- Fix, don't scrap, Affirmative Action -- from two corporate executives.
- Minority Investigators Speak Out: an article that attempts to cover various perspectives, including "pro" and "con."
- "Cultural Dexterity" -- Affirmative Action hoop for Latinos.
- Defending Affirmative Action, by Juan Lopez
- Defeat CCRI -- from Berkeley's CyberRAZA web site
- "Manufactured Consent: CCRI" by George H. McGlynn. nice piece addressing the myth of meritocracy.
- Affirmative Action Resources
- Bay Area Affirmative Action Resources
- EEO Affirmative Action Resources: includes information on current lawsuits
- What General Colin Powell thinks
- Queers for Affirmative Action
- Out Magazine on Affirmative Action
- Queer San Francisco on Affirmative Action
- Chinese For Affirmative Action
- "The End of Affirmative Action?" essay by Robert Hernandez
- Peter Gabel, "Affirmative Action" (from Tikkun
- "Myths About Multiculturalism" by Troy Duster
- "Racial Issues and the White Man's Wallet": analyzes the appeal of CCRI to california voters.
- "CCRI Stabs Women in the Back," by Paul Rockwell
- "CCRI Aims At Women's Rights," also by Rockwell
- Northern Arizona University's Affirmative Action Office: Includes links to job information
- Administrative History of Affirmative Action
- Did Conservative opposition to affirmative action cause the Oklahoma Bombing? I doubt it. But someone thinks so!
Who is Behind the CCRI? And Are they Lying to you? You decide.
For Further Information:
- The CCRI Home Page: Resources in support of the CCRI. Paid for by the bill's supporters, this is one slick site. But it is sadly lacking in substance and analysis.
- Fair and Equitable? A brief statement against affirmative action, complete with annoying graphic backgrounds and a gratuitous American flag.
- Not About Equality -- a brief, wrong-headed but well-meaning statement against affirmative action.
- Students Against Affirmative Action and for Equality -- this "group" is actually a privileged white student couple at UC Davis (nothing wrong with that -- but can't they call themselves something simpler?)
- "Pride and Prejudice" by Ward Connerly and others.
- "Cry Me A River" -- conservative whining from Robert Miranda.
- "The Hot Zone" by Joel Kotkin; on the CCRI in California.
| Ben's Home Page |
Speech Communication Department |
This page maintained by Ben Attias
Last Update: 05:59 PM on Thursday, September 25, 1996.
Please Send Comments, Suggestions, etc. to