University Honors Donor Robert Barbera in OctoberPresident Jolene Koester and College of Humanities Dean Elizabeth Say will host a reception honoring philanthropist Robert Barbera at 2 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 20, in Jerome Richfield Hall, Room 315.
Together with faculty, friends and Italian Studies students, Koester and Say will thank Barbera for "his extraordinary leadership and contributions" to the College of Humanities' Modern and Classical Languages and Literatures Department, the Italian Program Endowment Fellowship Fund and the Robert J. Barbera Endowment in Italian Studies.
Barbera has long partnered with Italian-American organizations such as UNICO (Unity, Neighborliness, Integrity, Charity, Opportunity) and the Patrons of Italian Culture in philanthropic work supporting the study of the Italian language at CSUN and other area institutions of higher learning.
Say commended Barbera's "vision and determination to provide a permanent home for the study and appreciation of the Italian culture and community at Northridge and in the San Fernando Valley."
In 2002, Barbera helped form a group of Italian American leaders who pledged to raise more than $250,000 for students wishing to minor--and eventually to major--in Italian at CSUN. "There are traces of the Renaissance... (and) Roman Empire that should be perpetuated," he said at the time.
Founder of the San Gabriel Valley property management company Barbera Management Inc., Barbera helps support the annual UNICO National-California District 1 Charity Golf Tournament benefiting the College of Humanities' Italian Language and Culture Program. This year, the tournament takes place on Monday, Nov. 1, at the California Country Club in Whittier.
Athletic Hall of Fame Induction Is PlannedThe Athletics Department will host its 2004 Hall of Fame induction ceremony at a reception and dinner planned for 5:30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 21, in the Hilton Woodland Hills' Trillium Ballroom.
Honorees will include:
- Pete Cassidy, former head basketball coach whose 336 victories were the most in Cal State Northridge's men's basketball history. Cassidy was named CSUN's baseball MVP in 1959 and earned MVP basketball honors in 1960.
- Tony Davila, three-time All-CCAA (California Collegiate Athletic Association) performer and CSUN's first two-time All-District VIII selection. Davila has served as head coach for both the CSUN men's and women's tennis programs.
- Debbie Dickmann-Crofts, CSUN's only four-time first team All-American in softball. A three-time Honda Broderick Award nominee, Dickmann-Crofts was named the NCAA Division II Player of the Year in 1989 and 1990.
- Perry Husband, the first player from the 1984 NCAA Division II national championship baseball team to be inducted into the Hall of Fame. Husband was named MVP of the 1984 College World Series.
- Coley Kyman, named CSUN's Male Athlete of the Year in 1993. He is the only three-time first team All-American in CSUN's volleyball history.
Valley Economic Report and Forecast Parley is SetCal State Northridge's San Fernando Valley Economic Research Center will unveil its 2004 San Fernando Valley Economic Report and update its May 2004 San Fernando Valley Economic Forecast at the annual Valley Industry and Commerce Association (VICA) Business Forecast Conference Power Breakfast Program on Friday, October 29.
Registration and networking will begin at 7:30 a.m. at the Warner Center Marriott Hotel in Woodland Hills.
Daniel Blake, research center director, will present the economic report at the conference. He will be joined on the morning panel by Los Angeles Economic Development Corporation President Jack Kyser.
The theme for this year's events--which will address economic, political and legislative issues that may impact business in 2005--is "Cracking the Economic Code╔What Lies Ahead for Business."
Admission is $175 for a full day or $85 for lunch only. For information or reservations, call (818) 817-0545 or access the VICA Web site at www.vica.com.
@csun | October 18, 2004 issue
Public Relations | University Advancement
Home | CSUN A-Z | New Sites | People Finder | Calendar | News & Events
Students | Faculty/Staff | Parents/Prospective Students | Alumni | Business & Government | The Community