The Society of Pi Kappa Lambda was founded on May 17, 1918 at Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois. This is the only national college honor society in music and is distinct from social and professional fraternities. Chapters of the Society annually extend invitations to membership in Pi Kappa Lambda to the highest ranking students from junior, senior and graduate classes. The elections are the responsibility and privilege of the Faculty. The Gamma Kappa Chapter was established in May of 1971 at California State University Northridge. The society as a whole numbers over 45,000 members. The insignia of the Society is a gold key in the form of a Grecian lyre. The traditional symbols of music and drama, the pan pipe, and a mask with foils, are on each side of the three strings of the lyre. The key insignia is a pin for the men and a pendant for the ladies.