Why the M.I.S. Option?
The Music Industry Studies (M.I.S.) Option was created to serve the needs of students wishing to pursue executive and administrative careers in the Music Industry.
In addition, however, many M.I.S. students do intend to perform professionally as well and indeed, a number of our students already have had recording contracts. Those students enter the M.I.S. Option for slightly different reasons: (a) to launch performing careers, and (b) to understand the inner workings of the Music Industry in order to help accelerate and facilitate those careers.
Why Pursue the M.I.S. Option at CSUN?
Some universities offer “Music Business” degrees that interestingly enough, contain no music! Those degrees tend to lead to limited job opportunities.
On the other hand, we learned from our professional friends in the Music Industry that a degree that combines music and business is highly valued by Music Industry-based businesses. And that translates into the fact that graduates of our M.I.S. Option are qualified for a wider variety of career choices and opportunities.
Another benefit for CSUN graduates is location, location, location! If you want to be in the music business, Hollywood/Los Angeles is the best place to be. Today, virtually all motion picture and television music is produced here. The same goes for nearly all Pop and most Jazz. Simply stated, the heart and soul of the Music Industry is located in Los Angeles –– just minutes from the CSUN campus. As a result, our students begin networking in the Music and Entertainment Industries the day they are admitted to the major. And when they graduate, most transition smoothly right into the Music Industry workforce.
And let's not forget to mention the weather! Southern California’s weather trumps that of New York City, Nashville, Miami, Boulder and virtually all other cities where Music Business programs are offered.
Our Faculty Consists of Music Industry Professionals
Faculty members who are actively involved in various aspects of the Music Industry staff our program. Students learn from those who know the industry from the inside out.
All M.I.S. students must complete study in the three required components of the Option:
1. General Education & Title V courses required of all college students
2. Music courses required of all B.A. degree students
- MUS 101. Your Career in Music [2 units]
- MUS 111/L Musicianship I [2 units]
- MUS 112/L. Musicianship II [2 units]
- MUS 211/L. Musicianship III [2 units]
- MUS 110A. Keyboard Musicianship I [1 unit]
- MUS 110B. Keyboard Musicianship II [1 unit]
- MUS 210A. Keyboard Musicianship III [1 unit]
- MUS 191/L. Fundamentals of Music Technology [3 units]
- MUS 201. Style and Literature of Western Music I [3 units]
- MUS 202. Style and Literature of Western Music II [3 units]
- MUS 307. Music from a Global Perspective [3 units]
3. Music Industry Studies option requirements
- MUS 213. Harmony [3 units]
- MUS 210B. Keyboard Musicianship IV [1 unit]
- MUS 293/L. Early Field Experience in the Music Ind. [2 units]
- MUS 302. Jazz History [2 units]
- MUS 303. History of Pop and Rock Music [2 units]
- MUS 391/L. MIDI-Sequencing Technology [3 units]
- MUS 393. Music Industry Studies [3 units]
- MUS 397AB. Recording [2 units]
- MUS 493. Music Production [3 units]
- Individual Lessons [4 units]
- Performance Ensembles [8 units]
- BLAW 280. Business Law [3 units]
- MGT 360. Management and Organizational Behavior [3 units]
- MUS 494. Internship [6 units]