The M. A. program in history at California State University, Northridge, offers students advanced training in historical research, writing, and teaching. Seminars are small in size, providing students with unparalleled opportunities to work directly with faculty. Students have the option of pursuing their degrees full- or part-time, and classes are available both during the day and in the evening. The program includes advanced courses in historical methods and research, study in specific historical fields (e.g., United States History, Modern European History, Latin American History, California History, Ancient and World history), and professional training for careers in teaching, archival administration, and public history.
The History Department also encourages and supports student participation in conferences. Graduates of the program have gone on to teach at high schools and community colleges, pursued careers in museums and archives, and gained admission to top-tier Ph.D. programs. The History MA consists of 30 units of coursework, followed by either a comprehensive examination in two fields, or a thesis. A complete description of all History MA Program requirements is available in the History MA Brochure. Course listings for Fall 2006 are also available.
Requirements for Admission to the M.A. Program
- B.A. with a strong background or demonstrated interest in history.
- Cumulative minimum undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 and 3.33 in upper-division and/or history courses.
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty under whom the applicant worked as an undergraduate or graduate student
- A one or two page statement of purpose describing the applicant's academic background, career goals, historical interests, and anticipated field of study.
- Acceptance by both the University and the History Department.
GRE Scores: Applicants must submit GRE scores if their cumulative undergraduate grade point average is below a 3.0. Applicants must take the GRE general test and score at or above the 50th percentile on at least one of the three sections (verbal, quantitative, analytical) in order to be granted classified status.
- Fill out an application form using CSU Mentor; or, to receive an application by mail, call 818-677-3700 or write:
Office of Admissions and Records
California State University, Northridge
18111 Nordhoff Street
Northridge, CA 91330-8207
- Send to the History Department two faculty letters of recommendation and a 1-2 page statement of purpose:
Department of History
California State University Northridge
18111 Nordhoff Street
Northridge, CA 91330-8250
- For Fall 2006 admission, the application deadline is May 15, 2006
- For Spring 2007 admission, the application deadline is October 15, 2006
For questions about the requirements and procedures for admission, contact Prof. Jeffrey Auerbach, History Department Graduate Coordinator, by phone at (818) 677-3566, or email.
The University Financial Aid office, (818) 677-3000, provides information, counseling, and application processing for students who need financial assistance, which can come in the form of scholarships, loans, and student employment. In addition, the History Department provides a number of financial awards to outstanding graduate students, including the Baur Scholarships, which provide for all fees for one semester; the Michael Patterson Scholarship, to students enrolled in or planning to pursue a secondary teaching credential; and the W.P. Whitsett Fellowship, which provides a grant of $3,000 to a stduent studying the history of California and the West. The department also provides substantial assistance to students who present papers at professional conferences.