- Grants and Awards
- Workshops Given
- Other Activities
Grants and Awards
Eugene Turner and James Allen received the following awards for their book, We the People: An Atlas of America's Ethnic Diversity published by Macmillan in 1988.
a. The Scholarly Publication Award from California State University, Northridge that was presented
b. The Dartmouth Medal from the American Library Association for the best reference book in the United
States in 1988. The award was presented at the annual meeting of the ALA in June, 1989
c. The R. R. Hawkins Award for the outstanding professional, reference, or scholarly work of 1988 from the Professional and Scholarly Publishing Division of the Association of American Publishers at a meeting in Boston in February, 1989.
d. A special J. B. Jackson Award from the Association of American Geographers at the annual meeting in
April, 1988. This award is given to the book which best brings geography to the popular press.
2. Eugene Turner and William Bowen received $15,500 from System wide Training at the Chancellor's Office to present a workshop: Mapping and Spatial Analysis on the Macintosh Computer. This two-day workshop was presented to faculty from all CSU campuses on February 6th and 7th, 1988 at the Department of Geography.
3. Eugene Turner and William Bowen received $9,299 from Lottery Support Funds in 1989 in the School of Social and Behavioral Sciences to reproduce student map projects, especially a student atlas.
4. Eugene Turner received a second place award of $1500 from Strategic Mapping Inc. for the map, Ethnic Patterns in Los Angeles, 1980. The award was for an entry submitted to the "Atlas Mapping Contest" in 1991.
5. Eugene Turner received an award of $3500 from the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences for research on employment patterns in the San Fernando Valley. in 1996.
6. Eugene Turner received a PSSI award, December, 1996.
7. Eugene Turner was a participant in a $25,000 CSU Academic Opportunity Fund Grant. He produced an instructional module on population mapping, 1998.
8. Received Scholarly Publication Award from California State University Northridge, May, 1998.
9. Eugene Turner received 3 units release time from the School of Social and Behavioral Sciences to study Patterns of Ethnic Diversity Change in U.S. Urban Places, November, 1998.
10. Eugene Turner received 3 units release time from Research and Grants in Spring 2000 to work on a 2000 census mapping project in Spring 2001.
11. Eugene Turner received $88,900 from the California State Assembly Rules Committee to create a set of political district maps resulting from the 2000 census, Fall 2000.
12. Eugene Turner and James P. Allen received the Donald H. Pflueger Local History Award from the Historical Society of Southern California for the book, The Ethnic Quilt: Ethnic Diversity in Southern California, in September 2001.
13. Eugene Turner received a Faculty Curriculum Grant for introducing GIS to the curriculum of Northridge Academy High School, Fall 2005.
14. Stipend to create teaching module on using Census data. From the CSU Social Sciences Research and Instructional Council, March 2007.
15. CSUN CSBS stipend to create GIS workshop instructional materials for the CSU GIS Specialty Center, June 2007.
1. Presented two-day workshop to CSU faculty on February 6th and 7th, 1988 on mapping on the Macintosh computer.
2. Presented two-day workshop to CSU faculty on June 4th and 5th, 1988 for an overview of the software package, ARC/INFO.
3. Presented two-day advanced workshop to CSU faculty on February 6th and 7th, 1989 on mapping on the Macintosh computer.
4. Presented one-day workshops with others on mapping on the Macintosh computer at the annual meetings of the Association of American Geographers in 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992 and 1994, 1995, and 1997.
5. Served as instructor for a one-week workshop on social science data sponsored by the Social Sciences Research and Instructional Council at CSU, Fresno, June, 1994.
6. Presented workshop on digital graphics and data transfer to the Southern California Association of Governments in Los Angeles, October, 1996.
7. Presented workshop with Dennis Fitzsimons on Bringing the Internet into Cartography at the Annual Meeting of the Association of American Geographers, Fort Worth, TX., Apr. 1997 and again at Boston, MA, Apr., 1998.
8. Attended the Virtual Geography Department Workshop, a weeklong workshop on instruction via the Internet at the Department of Geography, University of Texas at Austin, June, 1997 and Feb, 1998.
9. Hosted a half-day faculty workshop on using the CSU Social Sciences Database Archive, Feb. 27, 1998.
10. Organized and hosted the 22nd Annual CSU Social Sciences Research and Instructional Council Student Conference at California State University Northridge, May 7-8, 1998.
11. Presented workshop with three other faculty on how to use newly created instructional social science instructional modules, May 22 at San Diego State University and June 17 at CSU Pomona, 1998.
12. Presented workshop with three others on Map Critique at the Annual Meeting of the Association of American Geographers, Honolulu, HI, Apr., 1999.
13. Presented workshop with two others to CSUN faculty on accessing the CSU social science databases over the Internet. May 6, 2005.
14. Presented CSU workshop on using Census data in the social sciences at CSUN. Sponsored by the CSU GIS Specialty Center, Sept. 16, 2005.
15. Presented workshop with two others to CSU, Long Beach faculty on accessing the CSU social science databases over the Internet. Nov. 3, 2006.
16. Hosted Introduction to GIS workshop for CSUN faculty during GIS Day, Nov. 15, 2006.
17. Presented workshop on accessing Census data to the Social Sciences Research and Instructional Council Winter Meeting, San Diego State University, Feb. 10, 2007.
18. Presented workshop with two others to CSU, San Bernardino faculty on accessing the CSU social science databases over the Internet. Apr. 2, 2007.
19. Presented an SSRIC workshop on Intermediate SPSS November 2, 2007 at CSU, Dominguez Hills and again at CSU, Northridge on November 16, 2007.
20. Presented workshop on Geographic Information Systems November 9, 2007 at CSU, Dominguez Hills.
21. Presented an SSRIC workshop on Beginning SPSS at CSUN with John Korey, CSU, Pomona, October 24th, 2008.
22. Presented two workshops at CSU, Pomona on beginning and intermediate SPSS, Jan. 23, 2009 and Feb. 13, 2009.23. Presented an SSRIC workshop on social science data bases at CSU, San Bernardino with Kevin Schultz and John Korey, March 5th, 2010.
1. Serve as CSU, Northridge representative to the Social Sciences Research and Instructional Council. Was elected chairman of the Social Science Research and Instructional Council for the 1988-89 school years.
2. ARC/INFO In spring of 1988, San Francisco State University received an Academic Computing Enhancement grant from the Chancellor's Office to serve as a northern California center for geographical information systems. As part of that grant, CSU, Northridge was designated a secondary site to serve the southern California area. The responsibility of both campuses is to provide training and information on a major GIS package, ARC/INFO, to students and faculty at their respective campuses and to provide training and computer access to faculty at other campuses who are interested in using the software. Eugene Turner was designated as the southern California director in this project and has received release time to develop materials for this program.
3. In the spring of 1992 was appointed as the California State University representative to the Statewide Geographical Information Systems Task Force. The mission of this group was to produce a report defining the role of the State of California in the area of GIS.
4. Was asked to help CSU, Northridge Institutional Research Office collect data and software for analysis of student population, 1995-96.
5. Appointed as a cartographic advisor to the Professional Geographer, 1994-97.
6. Served as Vice-chair of the Cartography Specialty Group of the Association of American Geographers, 1995-96, as Chair from 1996-97, and Past-Chair from 1997-1998.
7. Helped obtain license and serve as distributor of Atlas-Pro mapping software for the Macintosh computer. The software is distributed for the Microcomputer Specialty Group of the Association of American Geographers.
8. Serve as Chair of the Curriculum Committee, Department of Geography, 1996-97.
9. Organized Geography Department internship program for students, 1996-04.
10. Highlights from the book, The Ethnic Quilt, were featured in a LA Times article on Sunday, May 11, 1997 and republished in various papers via the Associated Press on May 12. Professor Turner participated in a half-hour news program that highlighted the book on KCOP, Channel 13 on May 17th and on Pacesetters, KTLA, Channel 5 on June 10. He appeared on KPCC, fm radio, on May 20 and again on July 9.
11. Serve as Chair for the CSU Social Sciences Research and Instructional Council, 1997-1998.
12. Presented talk on GIS to Mission College PACE Program, Sept. 6, 1997.
13. Presented talk on Ethnic Patterns in Los Angeles to Western Association of Mobile Homeowners Association, October, 1997.
14. Presented talk on "Demographic Realities and Projections: 1950 to Present," to the Global Diasporas Collaborative, CSU, Dominguez Hills, November 15, 1997.
15. Serve as webmaster for the AAG Cartography Specialty Group, 1997 to present.
16. Spoke to L.A. Philharmonic Association Community Advisory Committee in Seminar,
L.A. Cultural Demographics: Planning for a New Century, Los Angeles, May 15, 1998.
17. Participated in Geography Department recruiting functions on April 30 and May 1, 1998.
18. Chaired recruitment committee for new hire in GIS, 1998-99.
19. Invited attendee to Los Angeles and New York in the New Millennium Conference sponsored by the LeRoy Neiman Center for the Study of American Society and Culture, UCLA, May 20-21, 1999.
19. Elected to CSUN Academic Technology Committee from the School of Social and Behavioral Sciences, 1998. Served as Chair of the Committee, 1994 and again in 2003. First served, 1991.
20. Serve on the advisory board to the CSU GIS Specialty Center at San Francisco State University.
21. Prepared memo and PowerPoint presentation on Geography Department for Chancellor’s Office Board of Trustees Meeting, August, 1999.
22. Attended Virtual Visions Workshop on web teaching, CSUN, Nov. 6, 1999.
23. Served on CSUN Common Management System Steering Committee and Student Administration Committee, 1999-2000.
24. Organized presentation “The Negotiation for Public Land in the Santa Monica Mountains” for students, Sept. 28, 2000.
25. Participated in CELT workshops on October 23, 2000 (Designing and Redesigning College Courses) and Nov. 14, 2000 (Analyzing Student Work to Improve Teaching and Learning).
26. Prepared maps of Los Angeles school districts for LA-Godinez court hearing, January 2001.
27. Participated in CELT workshops on February 22, 2001 (Financial Investment 101) and Mar. 9, 2001 (Designing Courses That Promote Significant Learning).
28. Negotiated transfer of surplus government Sun computer workstations and plotter from the Census Bureau to School of Social and Behavioral Sciences, March 2001.
29. Served on CSUN Scholarly Publications Committee, March 2001.
30. Extracted 2000 census data and prepared tables for a series of articles in the Daily News in March and April of 2001. Also, produced a number of maps that were published in the paper. See “Where We Live” in the Daily News, March 30, 2001, pg. 1.
31. Prepared series of ethnic maps for expert witness testimony of demographer Peter Morrison in court case on methods of jury selection. May 2001.
32. Supervised the production of poster-sized maps for California Assembly hearings on redistricting held in various cities throughout the state, May – July 2001.
33. Attended North American Cartographic Information Society meeting, Portland, OR, November 2001.
34. Supervised and participated in the preparation and production of an atlas of California Assembly district boundaries and an atlas of Board of Equalization district boundaries. November 2001 to March 2002.
35. Serve on CSUN United Campus Ministry Board, 2003 - 2005.
36. Serve on departmental Personnel, GIS, and Resource Committees, 2003 – 2006.
Chair of Personnel Committee, 2004 – 2006, 2007 – 2009.
37. Organized GIS Day activities at CSUN, Nov. 15, 2006. This consisted of three presentations from invited speakers, a faculty workshop, and various prizes to students during the day.
38. Gave invited lecture to interdisciplinary History 380 class on ethnic patterns and change in southern California, Feb. 12, 2007.
39. Prepared data extracts on Canadian-born persons and Canadian ancestry persons and created several large maps showing the distribution of Canadian persons by county for the U.S. and by census tract within Southern California for the Canadian Consulate-General’s Office in Los Angeles. March 2007.
40. Serve as social science reviewer on the CSU Selection Committee for the Sally Casanova California Pre-Doctoral Program, May 2007, May 2008, and May 2010.
41. Gave a lecture on the American Census and second lecture on the representation of digital terrain to visiting scholars from China at CSU, Northridge, August 2008.
42. Gave a lecture on mapping ethnic census data to Teresa Vasquez’ Urban Studies class on Los Angeles, Nov. 6, 2008.
43. Attended annual meeting of the North American Cartographic Information Society, Sacramento, CA, October 2009.
44. Attended annual meeting of the North American Cartographic Information Society, St. Petersburg, FL, October 2010.
45. Presented an SSRIC workshop on social science data bases at CSU, Dominguez Hills with John Korey, April 15th, 2011
46. Presented lecture on social science data bases and analysis to Dr. Johnie Scott’s proseminar class, April 21st, 2011.