WELCOME TO CSUN AAS ARCHIVAL PAGE!
Since 2009, we have decided to keep track of our activities and events. If you have pictures and comments of things to add of past events, please let our webmaster know. This page is divided into two sections. The first has the list of events and the second has the list of links to photo galleries.
Fall 2013 Events
- We had a talk by Dr. Arshad I. Ali on "CITIZEN SUSPECT: Muslim Youth, State Surveillance, and Responsive Research Methodologies" on September 24, 2013, Tuesday, from 4 to 6 PM in the Whitsett Room (Sierra Hall 451)
- AAS Welcome Back BBQ and New Students Orientation, Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 11 am to 1:30 pm @ the Asian House. We had about 72 students showing up.
- We are happy to announce that our AAS Newsletter Issue #5 is ready for viewing.
- AAS just got funding to start a tutorial program for our students taking AAS classes. We have hired 3 student tutors along with Prof. Turnmeyer to provide help on writing and learning strategies.
- AAS had a faculty retreat on Thursday, August 22nd, 11:30 am to 5 pm, and a departmental meeting on Friday, August 23rd, 10 am to 2:30 pm.
- AAS had a student-faculty retreat on Wednesday, August 21st, 9 am to 5 pm. Prof. Clem Lai, Prof. Tracy Buenavista and alumni helped made it a successful first!
- We have a new professor joining us with a joint appointment in Gender and Women's Studies. Dr. Khanum Shaikh will be teaching our AAS 201 courses this year. We look forward to her offering a Muslim American Experience course in Spring 2015!
- We are proud to announce that Dr. Tracy Buenavista has just received tenure! She now serves as Associate Professor with tenure in our Department!
Spring 2013 Events
- Congratulations to our graduates! Here is a link to some pictures from the AAS Reception and College of Humanities Commencement.
- AAS Gradudation Reception @ the Orange Grove on Wednesday, 5/22, 3:00 pm to 5:30 pm, in the Lamb's Room.
- College of Humanities Convocation, 5/22, Wednesday, 6:30 pm to 9 pm in the Sierra Quad.
- AAS 325A class presents a musical: The Greatest American Judge. May 4, 2013 at 6:30 pm in the Charles A. Noski Auditorium (near the Business Building), CSUN.
- Graphic novelist Gene Yang will be our Distinguished Lecturer for 2013.Please save the date: Tuesday, April 2nd, 2013, 5 PM in the Grand Salon, USU. Yang is also leading a Comics Medium Workshop at the Asian House at 2:30 pm. Please contact Prof. Hattori for more details because it's limited to AAS students.
- Strenthening the Collective: Ethnic Studies at CSUN, March 29, 2013, Friday 2 pm to 4 pm @ The Asian American Studies Activities Center (Asian House) and 4 pm Reception & Mixer @ the Black House, next door.
- AAS Alumni Luncheon this Saturday 2/23 noon at the Asian House.
Fall 2012 Events
- October 18, Thursday, 6:30 pm, at Mandarin Deli. Dinner with our alumna Sharlen Bagon for students interested in law school. Please rsvp with Prof. Chen by 10/16.
- October 18, Thursday, 4 to 6 pm, Whitsett Room (SH 453), DACA Information Session with AAS alumna Sharlene Bagon, Esq. Powerpoint of DACA presentation.
- AAS Graduate School Workshop, Tuesday 10/9 @ 6 pm in JR 221 and Wednesday 10/10 @ 12:30pm in Whitsett SH 453.
- The AAS Department had a Welcome Back BBQ / Orientation on Wednesday, 9/26, from noon to 2:30 pm at the Asian American Studies Activities Center.
Spring 2012 Events
- Our AAS Newsletter #4 is out!
- College of Humanities Graduation Ceremony, May 23rd, Wednesday 6:30 pm, Oviatt Lawn.
- AAS Graduation Reception, May 23rd, Wednesday 4:30 to 5:30 pm, Whitsett Room, SH 451.
- AAS Celebration on Monday May 7th, 5:30 pm till 8:00 pm, at the Asian American Studies Activities Center.
- Distinguished Lecturer Series and Student Awards Night took place in the Whitsett Room, SH 451 on May 1st, Tuesday, 5:30 to 7:30 PM.
- On Monday, April 30th, from 2 to 5 PM, the department hosted "20 Years Later: Have We Gotten Along? 1992 Rebellion/Riots/Uprising Revisited" in the Grand Salon.
- April 19 to April 20, External Reviewers' visit for our Self-Study.
Fall 2011 Event
- AAS Orientation, Wednesday, September 21, from 3:30 to 5:30 PM at the Asian House or AAS Activities Center.
Spring 2011 Events
- Congratulations to our graduating students! Here is a link to the graduation pictures.
- Pictures from Phil Yu's talk at the Distinguished Lecturer's Series and AAS Student Awards, April 20, 2011, 5:30 to 7:30 PM, Grand Salon, USU.
- Dr. Jaspir Puar gave a talk on "The Cost of Getting Better: Suicide, Sensation, Switchpoints" on Wednesday, April 20, 2011, at 2 PM in the Grand Salon, USU.
- Students rally and protest. Wednesday April 13th at the Oviatt Lawn at 11 am.
- Pictures from the March 2nd, 2011 Protest and Rally led by Students from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. beginning at the Oviatt Library Lawn. Also, interview with Brian DeGuzman on KPFK.
Fall 2010 Events
- Forum on Human Trafficking, Wednesday, October 6, 2010, 4 to 7 PM at the Northridge Center, USU.
- AAS Orientation on Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 12 to 1:30 PM at the AAS Activities Center!
Spring 2010 Events
- College of Humanities Commencement, Wednesday May 19th, 2010, 6:30 PM - 7:30 PM, Oviatt Library lawn (OV).
- Graduation Reception and Enrique’s Retirement Party, Wednesday, May 19, 3:30-5:30, University Club.
- AAS Carnival, Wednesday, May 5, 3-7 PM, the Asian American Activities Center.
- The S.E.C.R.E.T. Project, Friday, April 30, 6:30-8:30 p.m., Multi-purpose Room in Housing
- ERASING RACE:White Supremacy & the Politics of Imagery, WED 4/28, Chicano/a Studies Conference Room, 12-2 P.M.
- Theater Event: "Sole Survivors", Saturday, April 24, 7:00-8:30 (doors open at 6:00), Grand Salon.
- AAS & GWS Joint Letter to CSUN Administrators Regarding Professor Ng.
- Distinguished Lecturer's Series with Preeti Kulkarni, co-producer of "Vincent Who?" and Student Awards Night, Northridge Center, Wednesday, 4/14, 5:30 to 8:30 PM.
- March 4th Walk Out and Protest Pictures.
Fall 2009 Events
- We had a wonderful Asian American Studies Open House on Wednesday, October 14, from 11 am to 2 pm, at the AAS Activities Center, or the "Asian House."
- Asian American Studies Open House, Wednesday, October 14, from 11 am to 2 pm, at the Asian American Activities Center, a.k.a. "the den" or the "Asian House."
Spring 2009 Events
- AAS Fashion Show. March 26, 2009, 1:30-3:30, Shoshone Room
- Distinguished Speaker (Dr. Kenyon Chan) and Student Awards Event. April 30, 2009 5:30-7:30, Grand Salon
- Carnival. May 5, Asian American Studies Activity Center Community Events
- Graduation Reception. May 20, 4:00-5:30. Whitsett Room.
Each list item below is a link to a gallery at the Picasa Google website. Each gallery has a list of photos to view. Please note that once you enter the Picasa website, it may no longer be ADA compliant.