- LIFE of Thucydides [Encyclopedia Britannica 11th ed.]
- Life of Pericles [Encyclopedia Britannica 11th ed.]
- Perseus: materials concerning Thucydides
- AITLC Guide to Thucydides
- Short Bibliography of Thucydides (Lowell Edmonds, Rutgers U.)
- THE DEMOSION SEMA, the Athenian state tombs (recent archaeological discovery in the Kerameikos) [See Thucydides, Book II: Pericles' Funeral Oration]
A particularly good English language edition of Thucydides is the revised Richard Crowley translation, edited by Robert B. Strassler, The Landmark Thucydides: A Comprehensive Guide to the Peloponnesian War (New York: The Free Press 1996) [DF229 .T55C7 1996]. It contains extensive appendices on various aspects of Athens and Sparta, written by Alan Boegehold, Paul Cartledge, Robert B. Strassler, Victor Davis Hanson, Nicolle Hirschfeld, William F. Wyatt, Gregory Crane, and Thomas R. Martin. There are numerous maps throughout the text.
For Pericles' Funeral Oration [Thucydides, Book II, 35-46], the best analysis is probably Nicole Loraux, The Invention of Athens: The Funeral Oration in the Classical City (Cambridge: Harvard 1986).
The best general commentary on Thucydides is still A. W. Gomme et al. A Historical Commentary on Thucydides 5 vols. (Oxford 1945-1981).
January 23, 2010 10:53 PM
John Paul Adams, CSUN