By endorsing and supporting quality education, American Women in Radio and Television’s Southern California Chapter (AWM SoCal), wishes to guarantee the future quality of radio and television in Southern California. Toward that goal, AWM SoCal has established a scholarship fund to aid in the higher education of promising students. This complements the AWM mission: to advance the impact of women and men in the electronic media and allied fields by educating, advocating and acting as a resource to its members and the industry.
AWM SoCal will make available funds for annual scholarship awards for tuition and books. Awards will be announced in March 2011. Scholarship winners will be invited to attend the Genii Awards.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Southern California resident (male or female). (Ventura, Orange, Los Angeles, San Bernardino, and Riverside counties).
- Attending a Southern California accredited four-year College as a junior, senior, or graduate student.
- Enrolled in television or radio courses or related curriculum.
- Enrolled in at least 9 semester hours Spring 2011.
- Application signed by university section/sequence head certifying applicant meets the eligibility criteria.
- Previous AWM Southern California scholarship winners are eligible.
Judges will consider each applicant’s depth of thought, clarity of expression and commitment to radio or television as a primary future career. Extracurricular activities, community involvement and legibility also will be considered. Work or internship experience in a radio or TV or related field is important. Also, up to three letters of recommendation from a college professor, counselor, and/or industry professional will be evaluated. Please include the letters of reference with your scholarship application.
How To Apply:
Complete the application form attaching additional sheets as necessary. Click here to download application.
For answers to questions, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mail your completed application materials to:
PO Box 11043
Burbank, CA 91510.
Please be sure to provide the following:
- Completed application form
- Transcript – this can be an unofficial transcript. Many schools have Degree Progress Reports
and these are acceptable.
- Up to three reference letters from counselors, teachers, employers, and/or industry
professionals who know you.
- 1-3 page type-written essay. Please note presentation and clarity of thought are accessed
The application must be postmarked by Wednesday, February 16, 2011. The AWM Scholarship committee will review the applications and select the winners. Winners will be contacted in March.