CSUN students wishing to change from another major into CTVA must have a minimum 2.0 GPA and may apply for admission into the CTVA major by submitting to Admissions and Records a Change of Major Form signed by the Department Chair.
After successfully completing all requirements for the Pre-CTVA major listed below, and after completing at least 60 units of college/university-level course work, students should apply for admission into one of the CTVA major options by submitting to Admissions and Records a Change of Major Form signed by the Department Chair.
There are additional requirements for admission into the Film and Screenwriting Options. Students applying for the Film or Screenwriting Option must meet various minimum grade requirements and must submit a portfolio for review and approval by the CTVA faculty; Screenwriting candidates must also pass an entrance exam. Deadline dates, exam dates and portfolio format requirements can be found on the department’s website and in the department office.
Special Course and Grade Requirements for the CTVA Major
All lower and upper division courses taken toward completion of the Pre-CTVA and CTVA requirements must be completed with a grade of C or better. (NOTE--Students intending to enter the Screenwriting Option must pass CTVA 220 with a grade of B- or better. Students intending to enter the Film Option must pass CTVA 250 with a grade of B- or better.)
Pre-CTVA majors will take 12 units of preparatory classes.
- CTVA 100 Introduction to Mass Communication Art (3)
- CTVA 210 Television-Film Aesthetics (3)
- CTVA 220 Foundations Media Writing (3)
Select One of the Following Three Courses:
- CTVA 230 Fundamentals of Radio Production (3)
- CTVA 240 Fundamentals of Video Production (3)
- CTVA 250 Fundamentals of Film Production (3)
Before admittance to the CTVA major, students must complete all requirements for the Pre-CTVA major listed above. Pre-CTVA major students may not enroll in upper division CTVA courses without the consent of the instructor. Upon completion of the Pre-CTVA major, students must apply at the Department office for admittance to one of CTVA’s seven options. To meet each option’s specific requirements, students must complete all required courses and select additional Upper Division units in consultation with a faculty advisor in that option. Note that advisement is mandatory for all CTVA majors each semester. Each option provides an advisement form, available in the CTVA office, which lists both required and elective courses for the option. To fulfill the Department’s commitment to critical thinking and research skills, each option will require one course such as CTVA 301, 319, 400, or 401.
Students in the Multimedia Production option will take 33 upper division units as indicated below:
Required Courses (24)
- CTVA 301 Design of Media Message (3)
- CTVA 315 New Directions/Elec Med Systems (3)
- CTVA 327 Writing for Industrial Media (3)
- CTVA 362 Corporate and Instructional Media (3)
- CTVA 361 Computing for Multimedia (3)
- CTVA 461 Interactive Media (3)
- CTVA 464 Multimedia Design (3)
- CTVA 468 Multimedia Production (3)
Select one of the following courses: (3 units)
- CTVA 305 History of Broadcasting (3)
- CTVA 310 History of American Cinema (3)
- Select 6 additional units in CTVA or an allied field, with the approval of an advisor, as prescribed in the official departmental advisement form for Multimedia Production.
General Education: CTVA 100 can be counted toward GE Lifelong Learning, and the major.
Total Units in the Option -- 45
General Education Units -- 48
Additional Units -- 27
Total Units Required for the Degree -- 120