- Jennifer De Maio
Office Location: ST 233
Office phone: (818) 677-4744
- Ph.D. from UCLA (2005)
- MSC at the London School of Economics (1998).
- 155 American Political Institutions
- 422 International Politics
- 420E International Relations of Selected Areas:Africa
- 439A Government and Politics of Sub-Saharan Africa
- 471C Proseminar:International Relations
Selected Publications and Presentations
Recent publications include "Managing Civil Wars: An Evaluation of Conflict Prevention Strategies in Africa" in World Affairs (2006) and "Women and Conflict Management in West Africa" in Encyclopedia of Women and Islamic Cultures (2004). Her current work includes Confronting Ethnic Conflict: The Role of Third Parties in Managing Africa's Internal Wars (under review).
Research and Interests
Dr. De Maio's research focuses on civil wars and conflict management. Specifically, she studies the dynamics of civil wars and the role that third parties play in ameliorating and/or exacerbating intergroup tensions. Her current work examines that question of peace process exclusivity and how it can generate spoilers like those found in Darfur. She is also investigating the transnationalization of civil wars and strategies that can be employed to prevent the spillover of conflicts across borders.