For many, the conference hotel is the most convenient option for those spending one or two nights at the conference.
The Holiday Inn Express in Solvang is this year's conference hotel. We have have "blocked" 60 rooms, which provides preferential booking arrangements at a discount for conference attendees. The deadline to reserve a room with confidence is March 17th, after that date they will open reservations to the public.
Holiday Inn Express
1455 Mission Drive
Solvang, CA 93463
For Reservations at the Confernce rate call: 805-688-2018.
(DO NOT USE THE NATIONAL 1-800 RESERVATION /INTERNET BOOKING OPTION)
Rate of $150 per room per night for any of the rooms:
- Room type: King ( 19 available)
- Queen/Queen (36 avialable)
- Lofts (2 available)
- Two-room Suites (3 available)
- The rooms will be available at these rates for up to 3 days before and after the conference for any who would want to come early/stay longer.
- (Weekday and Sunday rates are $120 a night and guests will need to make a separate reservation)
- Guests must mention California Geographical Society Conference when making their reservation.
- Note: The front desk manager indicated that the hotel will be completing their “PIP” (property improvement program) which includes updating the rooms with fresh paint, carpet and furniture.
- He wouldn’t guarantee the work would be completed, but said that the expected completion date was before our arrival.
- Express Start Breakfast Bar is included in room rate: includes cheese omelets, bacon, assorted pastries, bagels, hard boiled eggs, fresh fruit, yogurt, signature cinnamon rolls, assorted cereals, coffee, hot tea, juice, etc. If you’re in a hurry, they also have “grab and go” breakfast bags to take with you.
Other Lodging Options
Conference attendees who wish to select another hotel (and there are many) should still make their reservations early. Solvang and Los Olivos are weekend getaways for the masses and popular for weddings, bike races, wine events, etc.
There are a number of popular websites that may help you search for lodging options. Consider sidestep.com
Click to open a map of conference lodging options. Updates with other conference information forthcoming as details become available.
- Flying Flags (RV Resort & Campground)
180 Avenue of the Flags (at the intersection of Hwy 101 & Hwy 246)
Buellton, CA 93427
Toll Free: (877)783-5247
- Flying Flags is 3 miles west of Solvang. This is a popular camping facility with many amenities.
- A wide range of sites from basic campsites or RV (no hookups) to premium sites with full hookups & concrete patios, bathrooms & showers, heated pool and spa, laundry, store, etc.
- Prices range from about $33 (+ tax) for basic to $52-66 (+ tax) for premium.
- Each site is limited to 1 tent or RV only, regardless of tent size; if people want to share campsites, they must be in the same tent. A second tent will require a second site.
- Two-night stay is required on weekends.
- Reservations fill up quickly, so it is suggested that people call for reservations in plenty of time: March or early April at the latest.
- Group (“Club”) rates are available (about 10% discount), but require a non-refundable deposit. There is no “group” campsite. For a group rate, contact Georgeanne at the above phone number or website.
- Lake Cachuma and other county parks also have camping facilities.
- See link for details