The 63rd Annual
Conference of the California Geographical Society is upon us! I look
forward to seeing you very soon. Jennifer Helzer
Announcements and Reminders:
- The weather forecast for the Santa Ynez region
indicates daytime temperatures in the low to mid 70s; evening temperatures
in the low 50s. Bring jackets for the evening activities. The
Friday Night Welcome Dinner and Saturday evening Awards Banquet are both
- We have a few openings left for Sunday’s field
trips. Please check with a CGS Board Member at Registration.
- All field trips leave from the Holiday Inn
Express in Solvang.
- Veterans Memorial Hall is a short walk from
Downtown Solvang (about 20 minutes). Parking is available adjacent
to the Hall.
- Parking for the Awards Banquet: The field on the left as you enter Montanero
- Smoking is Prohibited
at Montanero Farms (Banquet location).
- Help CGS to support green conference practices! Bring a lanyard from a previous conference
for your name badge!
- Congratulate yourself for using PayPal which by one estimate
produces half the carbon of mailing registrations and checks...maybe more!.
- Don't forget to bring an item that represents
your region of California
for the awards banquet raffle! Items can be dropped off at the
registration table on Friday or Saturday.
- We would also like to offer your student
organization an opportunity to promote your organization or department, or
to raise funds for your club by selling geography-related club
merchandise. This is a great chance to share information with
current or prospective students about your geography program, so please
feel free to bring flyers or pamphlets to the Welcome Dinner on Friday
evening. Please contact Alison McNally, Northern California Student
Representative (email@example.com) or Zia Salim,
Student Representative (firstname.lastname@example.org)
for additional information.
- CGS provides easels for displaying posters and
maps. Presenters are responsible for poster board and mounting
materials (pins, tape or other adhesive).
- Judging criteria for all student awards is
posted on the CGS website.
- Poster and map presenters need to check-in
Saturday morning between 8:00-8:30 AM at the display area.
following conference information is available on the CGS website:
- Conference Program (you will receive a printed
program when you register!).
- Conference Abstracts
- Conference Maps