UNIVERSITY ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
The student must first apply to the Office of Admissions and Records for admission to the University. This must be completed before the departmental process can begin. Graduate student requirements for admission to the University are:
- Bachelor degree from an accredited college or university.
- Good academic standing at the last institution attended.
- Undergraduate grade point average of 2.5 or better in the last 60 semester or 90 quarter units.
For any questions regarding the portfolio evaluation for entry into the Program, make an appointment with a faculty member in the area of concentration, or the Graduate Coordinator, prior to the evaluation. Appointments should be made by calling the Art Advisement Office at (818) 677-2348.
For university on-line applications go to: www.csumentor.edu
MFA PORTFOLIO EVALUATION REQUIREMENTS
1. Phase 1
The deadline line for receipt is usually the end of the first week of February. Please contact the art department graduate coordinator for the exact date.
- a: One sheet of twenty 35mm slides or a CD with JPEGS and a title list, and/or other media appropriate to the genre, representing the intended area(s) of studio specialization. Up to three specializations may be combined for this purpose. Visual evidence of conceptual and aesthetic continuity should be apparent.
- b: A complete resume and a one page written statement that clearly expresses reasons for pursuing an MFA degree, the intended areas of specialization and any other pertinent information.
- c: Two letters of recommendation and two referrals.
- d: Copies of complete Academic Records (transcripts), including institutions attended, overall Grade Point Average, and degrees completed.
- e: Self-addressed stamped envelope.
SUBMIT ALL MATERIALS DIRECTLY TO THE DEPARTMENT OF ART
2. Phase 2
Finalists will be asked to appear by appointment before the MFA Evaluation Committee with actual examples of their work to answer any questions the Committee may have. If for reasons of distance and/or expense, a personal appearance is not possible, a telephone conference can be arranged. The personal interviews and viewing of work is scheduled usually for the first week of March.
Please contact the art department graduate coordinator for the exact date.
3. Final Notification
Candidates will be notified of the decision of the committee in writing usually by the last week of March. Please contact the art department graduate coordinator for the exact date.
(818) 677-3046 fax
Hours: M-F 8 am - 5 pm
Hours: MTRF 8 am - 5 pm / W 8 am - 7 pm