The Things They
Carried, by Tim OíBrien
Study Questions for Part 3 -
Amy Reynolds, Engl. 098
"The Man I Killed" story cycle
- How did Curt Lemonís visit to the dentist affect him?
"The Sweetheart of the Song Tra Bong"
- What was Ratís reputation among the men of Alpha Company,
when it came to telling stories?
- What does Rat insist about his story in this chapter?
- What was the military discipline like at the outpost?
- Who were the Greenies and what were they like?
- Who did Mark Fossie bring to the outpost?
- What was their plan together, since elementary school?
- What does Rat say are the similarities between Mary
Ann and all of them?.
- What did Mary Anne begin to do when casualties came
- Where had Mary Anne been the first time she stayed
out all night?
- How did she change as a result of her conversation
with Fossie the next morning?
- How did she respond to Fossieís arrangements to send
- When and under what circumstances did Rat see her next?
- On pg. 106, what is Mitchell Sandersí attitude about
Ratís way of telling a story?
- What does Rat have to say about the soldiers attitude
- What did the Rat, Fossie, and Eddie find when they
entered the Greenies hootch?
- What kind of jewelry was Mary Anne wearing?
- What does Mary Anne tell Fossie about his presence
- What does Mary Anne say she wants to wants to do with
- At the bottom of pg. 113, what does Rat say about "the
girls back home"?
- What is the metaphor that Rat uses to explain Mary
Anneís experience with Vietnam?
- What did Dobbins do with his pantyhose when his girlfriend
- What did the monks at the temple help Henry Dobbins
- How does Kiowa feel about the soldiers camping at the
"The Man I Killed"
- What is paragraph one of the story about?
- What did the young man hope some day to become?
- What is Kiowa doing throughout the story?
- What is Tim doing?
- What did the boy fear about his performance in battle?
- How did the other boys at school treat him?
- What does Timís examination of the boyís body tell
us about Timís feelings about his death?
- What was the boy carrying?
- What does Kiowa keep insisting Tim do?
- How does Tim respond?
- Why did Tim throw the grenade at the young man?
- What could Tim have done instead?
- What is the significance of the storyís final image?
- What was the young girl doing when the company came
to her village?
- What did Azar do that night?
- How did Henry Dobbins respond?
Return to top