This page is updated regularly so please check back soon.
100 Citizens Diabetes Prevention Program
This is a 12 week exercise program designed to lower your risk of diabetes.
- Host: 100 Citizens
- Date: January 20, 2014 to April 18, 2014
Location: Recreation park at 208 Park Avenue, San Fernando, CA
Requirement: Must attend one 90 minute orientation (Jan 8 – Jan 14, 2014)
For More Information: call the Recreation Park at (818) 898 – 1290
Commit to be Fit
Recognizing that all of you who work so tirelessly deserve a great health benefit of your own, we created a fun and engaging Wellness Program opened to students, faculty/staff and community members. The program is designed to expand your limits of strength, flexibility, and cardiovascular health. Improved fitness improves your quality of life and makes your world bigger. How? The healthier and more fit you become, the more you are able to take advantage of everything the world offers; you have more choices at work, at home, and at play.
* People that are not affiliated with CSUN are welcome to join the program.
- Host: CSUN Institute for Community Health & Wellbeing and the Department of Kinesiology
- Spring 2014 Program Dates and Times: January 27, 2014 to May 8, 2014
Mondays through Thursdays: 5:30pm-6:30pm in Redwood Hall (RE) 200
- Required Blood Pressure Check & Paperwork (walk-in either day): January 22 and January 23 5:00pm – 6:00pm in RE 200
- Orientation (optional): January 23 at 6:00pm – 6:30pm, location TBD
- Required Forms:
▪ PAR-Q Form (mandatory):
*If you answer “yes” to any of the PAR-Q questions or if your blood pressure is > 140/90, you will need physician clearance to participate.
▪ Liability Form (mandatory):
▪ Photo Release Form (optional):
- Link: Faculty/Staff Wellness Page
- Flyer: Commit2BFitFlyer
- Contact: Dr. Kim Henige at firstname.lastname@example.org
This is a 12-week program that promotes getting healthy, active, and social for CSUN students on the autism spectrum. You will be paired 1 on 1 with a fitness coach and complete weekly activities.
- Date/Time: February to April
Contact: Teri Todd at email@example.com
ASICS LA Marathon Searching for Volunteers
Be a part of one of the largest running events in the country. You’ll have fun, meet great people and enjoy the thrill of victory without having to break a sweat.
- Date/Time: Sunday, March 9, 2014 from 7:30am to 3:30pm
Location: 11301 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles, CA
Flyer: Click Here
Creative Expression for Health, Healing & Social Justice
Expert panelists, social justice performance artists and student performers will share creative expressions for health and healing. CSUN student clubs, who are engaged in forms of creative expression for health and wellness, will offer opportunities to get involved on campus.
- Date/Time: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 from 3:45pm to 7:15pm
Location: Grand Salon, California State University, Northridge
Flyer: Click Here
Lecture on Kosher & Halal Foods
Dr. Joe Regenstein, who is a professor of food science at Cornell University, is coming to CSUN to discuss his research. He has spoken throughout the world on the subjects of kosher and halal foods. Admission is free.
- Date/Time: Thursday, March 20, 2014 at 12:30pm
Location: Sequoia Hall 109
Recreation & Tourism Management (RTM) 352 Presents: “Play Day”
The goal of the event is to help educate students, faculty, and staff on the importance of taking time out to play and the ways one can play. Research continues to show that Play has many benefits that extend far beyond childhood and last long into geriatrics.
- Date/Time: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 from 11:00am to 2:00pm
Location: South Redwood Hall Lawn at CSUN (corner of Lindley and Vincennes)
Flyer: Click Here
The Miracle Project @ The Teenage Drama Workshop (TMP@TADW)
This summer a new musical play, JOINING THE SPECTRUM: A Collaborative Play about Inclusion, will be staged by artists from The Miracle Project, led by director Elaine Hall and her award winning staff. The play will be created by the students with The Miracle Project team using theatre games, exercises, and storytelling techniques to generate the script. Approximately (15) youth, 12-18 years-old, will be able to sign up for this unique production program. Enrollment in the TMP@TADW is limited, so apply now if interested!
- Date: June 16th – July 27th, 2014
Application/More Information: http://www.csun.edu/tadw/application2.html