The recommendation that follows is the result of an in-depth analysis of the current structure and content of the information on College home pages.
- A survey of information labels, headings, and links used across CSUN College web sites was compiled
- Each College home page was analyzed to discover the organizational strategies already in practice that could be integrated into a common architecture
- The information categories proposed in the present recommendation were constructed in response to a series of questions:
- Which College-level content items are common to all College home pages?
- Which College-level content items are not common to all College home pages, but essential?
- Which content items can be included in a top-level College home page archetype, while ensuring simplicity of presentation? What information or links are required by CSUN policy?
- How can these common and specialized content elements be grouped into discrete and meaningful categories?
- How will users find items not included on the top-level College home page? What information pathways already in use at the University home page level can be leveraged to shape user behavior at the College level?
- How can content items and categories be labeled uniformly to anticipate user needs?