THE 2014 VITA PROGRAM IS NOW CLOSED FOR FILING 2013 TAXES. OUR LAST DAY WAS MARCH 29, 2014. WE DO NOT DO EXTENSIONS. PLEASE COME BACK NEXT YEAR FOR OUR TAX PREPARATION SERVICES.
IF YOU ARE A TAXPAYER WHO ALREADY FILED WITH US THIS YEAR AND WISH TO PRINT OUT YOUR TAX RETURNS AT OUR CAMPUS OFFICE, PLEASE CONTACT US TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT. BE AWARE THAT WE ARE CLOSED FOR SPRING BREAK (4/3 - 4/11). IF ONE OF YOUR TAX RETURNS WERE REJECTED, YOU MAY HAVE TO CALL THE IRS OR CA FRANCHISE TAX BOARD, OR GO TO A LICENSED TAX PROFESSIONAL TO RESOLVE THE ISSUE(S).
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE TAX FILING DEADLINE IS APRIL 15, 2014.
CSUN VITA OFFICE
HOURS: MONDAY-FRIDAY, 9AM-6PM
*** CLOSED 4/3 - 4/11 ***
CA FRANCHISE TAX BOARD: 1-800-883-5910
What you MUST bring:
- Valid Photo ID
- Bring Social Security cards or ITINs for ALL dependents to be listed on the return
- All wage reports forms - such as W-2's and 1099's
- Tuition Payments Statement 1098-T, if applicable
- Any other form marked "Important Tax Document"
- Prior years tax return and/or AGI (adjusted gross income)
- Bank Account & Routing Number for Direct Deposit / Direct Debit
- Receipts for Child/Day Care Expenses & Provider's ID number
- Landlord's Name, Phone Number, and Address for CA Renter's Credit
What we DO NOT prepare:
- Nonresident Alien Income Tax Returns, Nonresident International Students, etc.
- Amended Individual Income Tax Returns
- Income Tax Returns for prior years
- Married filing Separate returns
- Work Study Compensation, if reported on any other form other than W-2
- Form W-4 (Employee's withholding allowance certificate)
- Foreign Earned Income
For more information call the VITA office at (818) 677-4519
CSUN VITA Publicity
CSUN Newsroom - http://blogs.csun.edu/news/2010/01/28/tax-assistance/
VITA's Mission to the Community
The mission of the California State University, Northridge, Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program is to be a valued community partner in the culturally and linguistically diverse San Fernando Valley area. The VITA program provides timely and relevant federal and state information to the community concerning taxpayers’ rights and responsibilities. In addition, this program satisfies the widespread need for free tax return assistance, primarily for low-income individuals, senior citizens, non-English-speaking individuals, and the disabled located in CSUN’s surrounding community.
Training Experience with VITA
Before going into the field, volunteers attend a 24-hour training program during January. Through this program, Students gain valuable “hands-on” experience preparing federal and state tax returns, and they learn the important skills required to service a VITA site. In addition, all students receive CSUN course credit.
Advance courses are available for volunteers with prior experience. These advance courses will train students to become VITA site supervisors. Volunteers with no prior experience will receive two units of credit. Supervisors will receive three units of credit.
The Volunteer Protection Act of 1997, Public Law 105-19, protects volunteers from liability for negligent acts they perform within the scope of their responsibilities in the organization for who they volunteer. The Act excludes conduct that is willful or criminal, grossly negligent, or reckless, or that constitutes a conscious, vagrant indifference to the rights or safety of the individual potentially harmed by the volunteer. Click Here to Download Details
Links to Government Tax Agencies