Fall 2014 First-time Freshman Advising Checklist
Download and print the Fall 2014 First-time Freshman Advising Checklist (.pdf).
This checklist will help you get started on your academic career at Cal State Northridge. Planning for your fresh an year is an exciting time! Freshmen advisement and registration activities for Fall 2014 begin April 8, 2014.
Important! Complete tasks 1-3 below by their deadlines in order to enroll in classes at Cal State Northridge (CSUN) for the Fall 2014 semester:
- Confirm your Intent to Register no later than May 1, 2014. Log into “myNorthridge” from the CSUN homepage at www.csun.edu. Locate My Checklist and click the Intent to Register link to accept or decline your offer of admission. For help, see Freshmen and Transfer Students – Intent to Register. (If admitted after April 17, file intent within 14 days of your admission date.)
- Satisfy the English Placement Test (EPT) and Entry Level Mathematics (ELM) requirements. You should have already taken EPT and ELM unless you are exempt because of your SAT, ACT, AP or EAP scores. NOTE: You must satisfy the EPT/ELM requirement or be exempt in order to enroll in Fall 2014 courses with your advisor during your advisement and registration session. To make sure CSUN Admissions and Records has received your EPT and ELM scores or exemption, log into myNorthridge, locate My Checklist and review your complete and incomplete tasks.
NOTE: If you are required to take the EPT/ELM, you must do so on or before the May 3, 2014 test date or you will forfeit your opportunity to enroll at CSUN as a first-time freshman for the Fall 2014 term. Because of heavy demand and limited seating, you should sign up for the tests much earlier than the May deadline.
You may take EPT/ELM at CSUN or a CSU campus near you. To view test dates, register online and learn about exemptions, visit the CSUN Testing Center.
Early Start is a mandatory academic summer experience designed for incoming CSU students who require developmental coursework based on their EAP, EPT and ELM scores. Review Summer 2014 Early Start course information and enroll in math and/or writing courses by visiting /admissions-records/early-start-program. Your academic advisor will answer questions you may have regarding your Early Start registration.
- Send your preliminary high school transcript showing completion of your first semester senior year to Admissions and Records as soon as the semester ends. If you have taken college and/or Advanced Placement (AP) courses, bring unofficial transcripts along with any AP test scores to your first advisement meeting. Your advisor needs to know if you have additional college credits that may transfer to CSUN.
- Find out if you need additional department exams. The Math Placement Test (MPT) is required to demonstrate you are fully prepared to enroll in Math 102, 103, 104, 105, 150A or 255A. A passing score on the ELM demonstrates conditional preparation for Math 102 and 103 with the mandatory co-requisite of Math 102L or 103L. The Chemistry Placement Test (CPT) is required to enroll in Chemistry 101/101L. However, students cannot take MPT or CPT until they pass the ELM or are exempt. For more information, see Department Exams.
- Activate your CSUN Account. Locate the “Activate CSUN User ID and Password” letter you received from Admissions and Records and log into myNorthridge Portal at www.csun.edu. Read and accept the campus information technology policy. Follow the instructions to set up your account and enter any other information as prompted. For help, visit the Information Technology Help Center.
Your CSUN Gmail is an official means of University communication. Check your CSUN Gmail account often for important notices by logging into myNorthridge or http://my.csun.edu with your CSUN User ID and Password. Learn more at Student E-mail.
- Make an appointment for freshman advisement. Advising sessions begin as early as April 8, 2014. Freshmen must see an advisor in order to register for classes. If you have received your EPT/ELM scores or your exemption, you may contact the Student Services Center/EOP in the College of your major beginning March 24 to schedule an advising appointment. If your major is Undecided or Undeclared, schedule an appointment with the Advising Resource Center/EOP. Bring a copy of any Advanced Placement exam scores to your advising appointment. Your advisor will need access to all your test scores to place you in appropriate classes.
Before your appointment, you may want to prepare a tentative class schedule to review with your advisor. However, remember that the schedule you create is just for practice. Download a Schedule Planning Worksheet (.pdf) (print only). You should make a list of questions about your major, General Education, Financial Aid and Scholarships, Housing, etc., to ask during your appointment. Bring your CSUN User ID and Password so that you can log into myNorthridge and the SOLAR Student Center with your advisor. Use your User ID and Password each time you log in.
- Allow two to three hours for your appointment. Purchase a one-day campus parking permit for $6.00. Arrive on campus early to locate your advisement Student Services Center/EOP Satellite. Download freeway directions and a campus map (.pdf).
- Review the online University Catalog prior to your advising session. The Catalog describes every major, all courses CSUN offers, and provides vital information about academic policies and University rules.
- Browse the Schedule of Classes using Class Search. Learn about Class Search, myNorthridge and the SOLAR Student Center with the How To Guides. For registration calendars and more, see the Registration Calendar.
- Pay your tuition and other fees on time. Payment is due when you register for classes, but no later than the deadlines published in the Fee Payment Schedule. Due dates vary by registration date. If you do not pay on time, you will be disenrolled from courses. Get details on tuition and other fees, payment due dates, installment plans and more at University Cash Services.
NOTE: It is the sole responsibility of the student to withdraw from classes. Failure to follow formal withdrawal procedures may result in an obligation to pay fees, the assignment of failing grades, and the need to reapply for admission to the university.
- Send Admissions and Records your final, official high school transcript showing completion of your final semester and verifying graduation date as soon as your senior year ends. Final transcripts are due no later than August 15, 2014.
- Be sure to meet the CSU immunization requirement for measles, rubella and hepatitis B. If you attended a California public middle or high school, you have probably met the requirements. If not, complete the measles and rubella immunization requirement during your first semester of classes. Complete the hepatitis B requirement during your second semester. For more information, including the consequences of non-compliance and other immunization considerations, see the Klotz Student Health Center website Immunization Requirements.
- Check the status of your application for missing documents or test scores. Log into myNorthridge at www.csun.edu. Locate My Checklist, review your Incomplete Tasks, and complete those items as soon as possible. For help, see My Admissions Checklist.
- Sign up for mandatory New Student Orientation, held before the start of classes. This all-day program will introduce you to the University, provide useful information, and enable you to meet other members of the freshman class. To register, call (818) 677-4100 or go to www.csun.edu/nso.
- Fall 2014 classes begin Monday, August 25, 2014. Friday-Saturday and Saturday-only classes begin August 23.
Plan on attending Freshman Convocation scheduled during the third week of fall instruction. This is the CSUN’s official welcome and introduction to the excitement of university learning. Visit http://www.csun.edu/nso/convocation/ for more details.