Donald E. Bianchi Planetarium
Department of Physics and Astronomy, (818) 677-2775
Stephen Walton, director (818) 677-2769
- A 105-seat facility that is equipped with a SPITZ-512 planetarium projector and a large color video projection system.
- Public planetarium shows are given every Friday night at 7 pm. For the current show schedule, go to http://www.csun.edu/PhysicsAndAstronomy/ and click on the “Planetarium” link or call the Physics and Astronomy Department office.
Botanic Garden and Greenhouse
Brenda Kanno, Botanic Garden Manager, (818) 677-3496
- An academic resource for the Biology Department, the garden staff assists with class work and faculty & student research projects. The setting is also used for events, student and professional film projects and by other academic disciplines.
- Supports a diverse living collection of plant material featuring specimens of California natives, cactus/succulents, New Zealand natives, locally hardy palms, ferns, orchids and more.
- Open to the public on non-holiday weekdays, Monday–Friday, 8 am–4:45 pm. Free admission.
- Free lecture series called “CSUN-al Gardening”. For more information, please visit our website: http://www.csun.edu/botanicgarden
- Offers volunteer opportunities to community members on Thursday mornings, with horticultural instruction.
California Geographical Survey
An Internet resource created by Dr. William Bowen, professor emeritus. The Survey operates for the benefit of the students and faculty of the California State University System, public and parochial school teachers and students, and the people of the State of California to provide a variety of important geographic resources to the entire Internet community.
Electronic Map Library
Dr. William Bowen, geographic content, (818) 677-3528
Robert Provin http://maplibrary.csun.edu/
Includes a series of atlases created by Dr. William A. Bowen. These volumes are evolving in response to the changing interests of the author and requests made by the academic and scientific communities. The collection currently contains eleven digital atlases containing more than 4,000 photorealistic aerial panoramas of the world and the American West, a series of animated aerial movies, five panoramic map atlases, thirteen socioeconomic atlases, and a collection of historic topographic maps of Los Angeles County.
Geography Map Library
Michael Swift and Kris Tacsik, (818) 677-3465
The Geography Map Library features one of the largest map collections in the western United States, with more than 350,000 flat map sheets, 900 atlases, 5,000 aerial photographs, 3,000 reference books, and a host of digital cartographic and census data. Serving both the campus and larger community, the Map Library is a depository for the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) and the National Imagery and Mapping Agency (NIMA). In addition, the Library contains hundreds of volumes of Sanborn fire insurance atlases detailing the historical geography of cities from Denver to the Pacific Coast.
The library is available to all University faculty and students, as well as the general public.
University Club ‘Orange Grove Bistro’
Reservations (818) 677-2076, http://www.csun.edu/~uclub99
Set in CSUN’s historic orange grove near the intersection of Nordhoff Street and Zelzah Avenue.
- Offers gourmet lunches at reasonable prices.
- Each Friday features the cuisine of a different country, from Argentina to Vietnam.
- Caters special events including weddings, anniversaries and bar/bat mitzvahs.
- Provides meeting rooms for community service clubs such as Rotary and Kiwanis.
University Student Union
(818) 677-2491, http://usu.csun.edu
- The University Student Union (USU) features amenities including a palm-tree lined concert area, ATMs, a full-service banking center, Subway, the Pub Sports Grill, a coffee shop, convenience store, and convenient retail shops.
- The USU and Satellite Student Union (SSU) offer more than 40,000 square feet of conference and meeting space, rented at low rates to the surrounding community. See Meeting Services section in this guide.
- The USU and SSU also include a cell phone retailer, clothing store, digital and traditional photo development studio, a travel agency, DVD rental machine and a ticket office for on-campus events.
- The USU houses the Performing Arts Center, Sunny Days Summer Camp, the Fitness Centre, the Klotz Student Health Center Information Lounge and Lilving Well Lounge.
Weather Observer (818) 677-5628
Provides community members with the latest local weather conditions.