Consumer Education & Services
Consumer Resource Center
Allen Martin, director, (818) 677-4726
- Provides consumer information on a variety of topics, including buying a home or car, avoiding telemarketing scams and finding reputable home repair persons.
- Maintains a library of magazines on consumer topics and books for parents to read to children about money and saving.
- Serves as the home base for the service-learning component of the Consumer Affairs Program by pairing students with groups of elderly residents and at-risk youth to educate them on such issues as money management.
- Conducts ongoing research on the consumer literacy of specific populations and the financial literacy of youth.
Marilyn Magaram Center for Food Science, Nutrition and Dietetics
Tom Chen, director, (818) 677-3102
Annette Besnilian, assoc. director, email@example.com
A premier research and educational facility, offering these programs:
Brown Bag Film Series
Free programs on nutrition and health-related topics, including diet and the heart and the food guide pyramid, held during the noon hour twice a week, every other week.
Diet and Recipe Analysis
Personalized diet and recipe analysis provided to students, faculty and staff, as well as to the local community. Cost: $5 for each three-day analysis.
- MMC interns and staff provide the community with nutrition information, recipes and samples at the Ask the Dietitian booth at the Encino Farmer’s Market on the 4th Sunday of each month during Fall and Spring semesters.
- The Nutrition Lecture Series provides monthly lectures by professionals in the field or faculty on topics related to food science and nutrition.
- MMC sponsors a Community Health Forum, where nutrition and health related topics are presented to the community.
- MMC co-sponsors a quarterly Good Food Newsletter to 500,000 low-income families in Los Angeles County and provides nutrition and physical activity information.
- MMC is a co-sponsor of the Kids Fitness Challenge, a community outreach effort that provides nutrition information, assistance with weight management and increased awareness of childhood obesity.