Certification and Licensure
CSET PROGRAM OVERVIEW
The California Subject Examinations for Teachers® (CSET®) have been developed by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) for prospective teachers who choose to or are required to meet specific requirements for certification by taking examinations. The CTC contracted the Evaluation Systems group of Pearson to assist in the development, administration, and scoring of the CSET. The CSET program includes examinations designed to help candidates meet the following certification requirements:
- Basic skills requirement. Candidates may satisfy all components of the state basic skills requirement by passing all three subtests of CSET: Multiple Subjects and the CSET: Writing Skills test.
- Subject matter competence requirement. All candidates who need to meet the subject matter competence requirement for a Multiple Subject Teaching Credential must earn passing scores on CSET: Multiple Subjects. Candidates applying for a Single Subject Teaching Credential or an Education Specialist Instruction Credential may pass the appropriate examination(s) of the CSET as one method of satisfying the subject matter competence requirement.
- No Child Left Behind (NCLB) subject matter requirement. For candidates who need to satisfy the NCLB subject matter requirement, candidates for a Multiple Subject Teaching Credential must use CSET: Multiple Subjects and candidates for a Single Subject Teaching Credential may use CSET: Single Subjects.
- Educational technology requirement. CSET: Preliminary Educational Technology is the current approved examination that is taken primarily by out-of-state credential candidates to fulfill the basic educational technology requirements for a Multiple or Single Subject Teaching Credential or an Education Specialist Instruction Credential.
- Competence requirement for effective teaching of English Learners. CSET: Languages Other Than English (LOTE) may be used in conjunction with other valid examinations to demonstrate competence in the knowledge and skill areas necessary for effective teaching of English Learners and for the purpose of earning a Bilingual Authorization. Specific CSET: LOTE subtests have replaced the Bilingual, Crosscultural, Language and Academic Development (BCLAD) Examinations as the required credential tests for this purpose.
Test Administration Hours
- Tuesday and Thursday; by appointment only
Register for CSET
Proper identification will be required on the day of your test. Please arrive on time for your scheduled appointment.
Parking in the B3 structure is recommended. You may purchase a single day permit at an attendant booth or dispenser for $6.00. Day pass dispensers accept credit cards or cash and are located by the elevator on each level. View the campus map for more details.
CSET Registration Bulletin
Back to top