Review the information below to understand the testing policies for tests administered Monday-Friday at CSUN’s Testing Center. For tests administered on Saturdays, please review the test policies for that particular test.
1. Photo ID: Examinee photo identification is required to utilize the testing center. Only examinees possessing valid identification will be allowed access to the testing center (student ID, state ID, passport, military, national, etc.). No one will be allowed to test without proper identification. There are no exceptions.
2. Restroom: Students should take care of restroom stops before entering their examination. Exits from and re-entries to the test room will be limited, except for medical emergencies.
3. Monitoring: The Testing Center utilizes constant visual and audio monitoring of examinees either through a window, or through video and audio surveillance equipment. Security measures are in place to protect the misuse and alteration of testing materials and equipment under the center's control. Network access is protected by firewall and user identification and password protection systems. Audio and video surveillance will be conducted as a matter of normal business operations of the testing center.
4. Unattended children: Children are not allowed in the testing rooms and children cannot be unsupervised in the testing center. Please make other arrangements for children before coming to the testing center.
5. Quiet please: The Testing Center staff endeavors to provide you with a quiet and undisturbed environment. Please take special care as you arrive and leave to maintain a quiet atmosphere, both inside and immediately outside of the testing area.
6. Process: After checking your photo ID, the proctor will assign you your seat for the examination.
7. Permitted items: Only those items required to complete testing will be allowed in the testing room:
- Valid identification
- No. 2 non-mechanical pencils
- Approved calculators
- Scratch paper will be provided by Testing Center and must be returned before leaving room
- Permitted religious headwear
- Medical equipment approved as special accommodations
- Food or drink permitted as special accommodations will be stored and consumed outside of the testing room but within close proximity of the test taker
8. Prohibited items: Personal items are not allowed in the testing rooms. Personal items not related to testing will be stored in a testing center locker. Examinees are not permitted to take the following items into the testing room:
- Cell phones, pagers, beepers or audio or video devices. All electronic devices including cell phones are to be turned off and stored in locker provided.
- Electronic dictionaries or electronic English language translators.
- Food or beverages (includes water and water bottles).
- Any form of tobacco or tobacco products, alcoholic beverages or illicit drugs.
- Hats and headwear (unless by religious requirement).
- Brief cases, book bags, backpacks or purses.
- Unapproved courseware books or notes.
- Mechanical pencils.
- Personal laptops, thumb drives or MP3 recorders.
- Unapproved outerwear, including hooded wear, hoodies or other items that may cause a breach of test center security or a security irregularity between the examinee, test center and the material provided therein.
- Earphones may not be worn in the testing area.
- Calculators are only permitted if approved by faculty or testing company.
9. Test timing: If your test is timed, Testing Center staff will monitor your testing time and indicate start and stop times on a testing room board.
10. Privacy and confidentiality: The privacy and confidentiality of all client personal information is critical. The test center does not maintain personal files on clients nor is information released to any third party or agency on any client receiving services at the test center. Communication of client information is restricted to the following: the client and the test center; the test center and the test provider; and the client and the test provider.
Testing rooms: The Testing Center has security measures in place intended to protect the misuse and alteration of testing material under our control. Our network access to the infrastructure is protected by a firewall protection system. Audio and video surveillance of examinee information is regarded with confidentiality and privacy.
Test center environment: All personal belongings are to be stored in the testing center lockers during testing.
Examinee: No examinee is permitted access to any area of the test center that contains secure test materials or equipment. Safety directions and procedures are visibly posted and available to examinees receiving services at the test center.
Test standards: Proctoring services are contingent on the acknowledgment of the testing standards of operations in the test center. This acknowledgment details the security standards, examinee responsibilities, and the identification and test material handling procedures in the test center.
12. Academic honesty: We believe that academic honesty from all its members is essential in achieving academic excellence. For purposes of the Testing Center, we consider the following to be academic dishonesty:
- Not adhering to the guidelines established by the instructor or testing company for a particular exam.
- Representing the work of others to be one's own.
- Facilitating dishonesty by others.
- Copying from another person's test.
- Using unauthorized materials.
- Taking an exam for another.
- Permitting another to take an exam for you.
- Obtaining or providing to another an unadministered test or answers to an unadministered test.
- Removing or attempting to remove a test, any portion thereof or its answers from the testing area.
If a student violates the established guidelines, the Testing Center on behalf of California State University, Northridge has the right to void the students' exam.
13. Closing time: Unless posted otherwise, the Testing Center closes at 5 p.m., Monday to Friday. If you have not completed an un-timed test prior to closing, you will be required to sign the Release for Reduced Time Agreement form.