Campus Quality Fee Feedback Forum
Associated Students and the USU Board
April 7, 2008
No. of students in attendance: 12-14
Related to Alternative Consultation Process
- Why are the survey respondents shaping the intent of the proposal? (Cited 1400 respondents to survey as being generally less than number that vote at A.S. elections.)
- (My) general feeling is that the president has already made her decision. I would prefer that the president just work with AS and the university to make this where it's presentable to students. I don't feel as a member of AS that I can represent this proposal.
- We feel this should be carried forward as a fee referendum, where the students get to vote on it. (4 times.)
Related to Fee
- From Multi Impact Analysis Statement: Where is the money that's already being allocated to these projects going to go? Example: What will happen to the university money that is currently being used to subsidize course fees? (Approx. $700,000) Why can't it continue to be used for this purpose in order to keep student fees down?
- Who will decide where this money is going as what is the plan for accountability?
- Re Technology: Who decides on how the money will be spent? Need a process for this where students have influence.
- Won't this have an adverse affect on the diversity of our campus, given that the lowest income students are likely to be of color?
- How can you justify proposing a fee in a time when students are gearing up to oppose a tuition increase of 10% that will likely be recurring? Why can't we wait until the governor approves the budget? Why now?
- This should be more transparent.
- A process should be set for the allocation of these dollars that is made up of and includes student associations.
- There is a lot of money in that student services fund. I hope students will be involved in allocating it.
- The $250,000 Student allocation over three years seems like taxation without representation.
- I don't see why students can't develop and manage the entire fee.
- The administration should present an allocation request to a student committee for whatever they want to spend this fee money on each year. A.S. would be willing to serve as this entity.
- The athletics portion of the fee "makes sense.
- I would like to see some of the Athletic scholarships diverted to general student scholarships.
- The justifications aren't clear enough in the written proposal. The "why" should be included.
- This needs to be more specific. What would you spend the money on and how would you go about it? (2 comments of this nature)
- I don't think the IRA Fee is good on accountability. The net balance should be zero.
- Intent and accountability should have been built into the front end of this process.
- The Rec. Center fee was more accountable to students. We want more accountability.
- A lab fee that's imposed on everyone needs to benefit everyone.
- The definition of course fees should be more specific and there should be some promise that no new course fees will arise.