1. Signature Authorization Requirements
The University Corporation is required to maintain original authorized signatures on file for each project.
2. Signature Authorization Sheets
As part of the set up procedure of a new project, the Principal Investigator/Project Director must submit a Signature Authorization Sheet to The University Corporation.
The Signature Authorization Sheet must list the signature of the Principal Investigator/Project Director and the signature(s) of all person(s) authorized to sign on behalf.
A separate Signature Authorization Sheet with original signatures is required for each project. Copies or faxes are not acceptable.
The Signature Authorization Sheet can be downloaded at:
Please complete this document and submit it to The University Corporation - Sponsored Programs, Mail Drop 8309.
The Principal Investigator/Project Director is liable for all expenses and personnel actions resulting from an authorized signer.
4. Verification of Signatures
It is the responsibility of The University Corporation to verify that each expenditure request and personnel action contains an authorized signature on file. No expenditure or personnel action must be approved without such a signature.
5. Self Payments
Self payments are not allowed!
Payments to the Principal Investigator
All personnel actions, direct payments to and payments that benefit the Principal Investigator must be signed by at least one of the following:
- The Manager of Academic Resources (MAR) of the respective College
- The Associate Chair of the respective Department
- The Chair of the respective Department
- The Associate Dean of the respective College
- The Dean of the respective College
- The Associate Vice President of Research
- An authorized signer appointed by the Principal Investigator cannot sign for personnel actions, direct payments and payments that benefit the Principal Investigator.
- If a project is headed by two or more Principal Investigators (Co-Principal Investigators), the signature of one Co-Principal Investigator is sufficient to approve a personnel action, direct payment to and payments that benefit another Principal Investigator.
Payments to an Authorized Signer (Other than the Principal Investigator )
- All personnel actions, direct payments and payments that benefit an Authorized Signer other than the Principal Investigator, must be signed by the Principal Investigator.
- If a project has two or more Authorized Signers (other than the Principal Investigators), one Authorized Signer cannot approve a personnel action, direct payment to and payments that benefits another.
- If the Principal Investigator is not available to sign a personnel action, direct payment to and payments that benefits an Authorized Signer, the co-signature of either the MAR, the Associate Chair, the Chair, the Associate Dean, the Dean, or the Associate Vice President of Research is required.