- Ph.D., Sociology, University of California, Riverside.
- M.A., Sociology, University of California, Riverside.
- B.A., Anthropology, cum laude, University of California, Irvine.
- B.A., Psychology, cum laude, University of California, Irvine.
- B.A., Sociology, cum laude, University of California, Irvine.
- Speciaty Areas: Sociological Theory, Social Psychology, Sociology of Emotions, Cultural Sociology, Media Studies
- Sociology 150: Introduction to Sociology
- Sociology 345: Social Psychology
- Sociology 468: Contemporary Sociological Theory
- Sociology 498: Field Study and Reports
- Sociology 572: Social Policy Research and Evaluation
- Sociology 585: Social Change
- Sociology 601: Classical Sociological Theory
- Sociology 640: Teaching Practicum
- Sociology 670: Contemporary Sociological Theory
- Sociology 691A: Qualitative Research Methods
- Sociology 695C: Graduate Proseminar
- Sociology 696A: Directed Graduate Research
Research and Interests
Sociological Theory, Social Psychology, Sociology of Emotions, Cultural Sociology, Media Studies, Evaluation Research
Selected Publications and Presentations
"Feeling Through Presence: Toward of Theory of Interaction Rituals and Parasociality in Online Social Worlds." 2013, Forthcoming. In Tova Benski, Eran Fisher (eds.), Internet and Emotions. London: Routledge. (with Daniele Loprieno).
“The Caped Crusader: What Batman Films Tell Us About Crime and Deviance.” Forthcoming, 2012. In K. Fealty and J. Sutherland, Cinematic Sociology. Sage Publications. (with Robert Wonser).
“Studies in the Suspension of the “Flow” of Social Life.” 2011. Sociological Spectrum. (with Scott Appelrouth).
“Culture, Agency and the Means of Simulation.” 2011. In I. Zake and M. DeCesare, New Directions in Sociology: Essays on Theory and Methodology in the 21st. Century. Jefferson, NC: McFarland Press.
“Economic Crisis and the California State Public University: The Institutional, Professional, and Personal Effects on Faculty and Students.” 2011. In G. Orfield (ed.), The CSU Crisis and California’s Future. Los Angeles, CA: The Civil Rights Project/Proyecto Derechos Civiles at UCLA. (with Amy Denissen and Alexandra Gerbasi).
“Copernicus Evaluation Report, Series.” 2005 - 2011. For University of California, Riverside’s Department of Education, Copernicus Project. Funded by the United States Department of Education.
“The Savory Deviant Delight: A Study of Trust & Normative Order in an Online World.” 2010. In D. Latusek and A. Gerbasi (eds.), Trust and Technology.
“MMORPG Worlds: On the Construction of Social Reality in World of Warcraft.” 2009. In Don Heider (ed.), Living Virtually: Researching New Worlds. Peer Lang Publishing. (with Elena Sosnovskya and Sima Forghani).
“California Beginning Teacher Support and Assessment and Intern Alternative Certification Evaluation Study: Technical Report.” 2007. Funded by the California Department of Education. (with Douglas Mitchell, et al).
“Reflections on Public Sociology.” 2007. In Lawrence Nichols (ed.), Public Sociology: The Contemporary Debate. Transaction Publishers. (with Jesse Fletcher).
“Postmodern and Poststructural Social Theories.” 2007. In Scott Appelrouth and Laura Edles (eds.), Contemporary Sociological Theory Sociological Theory in the Contemporary Era. Pine Forge Press. (with Scott Appelrouth and Laura Edles).
“Emotion-Based Self Theory.” 2006. In Handbook of the Sociology of Emotions, Jan E. Stets and Jonathan H. Turner (eds.). Kluwer Academic / Plenum Publishers.
“Reflections on Public Sociology: Public Relations, Disciplinary Identity and the Strong Program in Professional Sociology.” 2005. The American Sociologist. 36(3-4): 5-26. (with Jesse Fletcher).
“Developing a Sociological Theory for the Empirical Understanding of Terrorism.” 2004. The American Sociologist. 35(2): 5-25. (with James David Ballard).
“Understanding Television without Television: A Study of Suspended Television Viewing.” 2003. The Journal of Mundane Behavior. 4.1: 9-28. (with Desiree Stephenson).
“Expectations, Need-States, and Emotional Arousal in Encounters.” 2002. In Jacek Szmatka, Michael Lovaglia, Kinga Wysienska (eds.), The Growth of Social Knowledge: Theory, Simulation, and Empirical Research in Group Processes. Praeger Publishers. (with Jonathan Turner).
“The Return of Grand Theory.” 2001. Handbook of Sociological Theory. New York: Kluwer Academic / Plenum Publishers. (with Jonathan Turner).