The MA program in History at California State University, Northridge, offers students advanced training in historical research, writing, and teaching. Seminars are small in size, providing students with unparalleled opportunities to work directly with faculty. Students have the option of pursuing their degrees full- or part-time, and classes are available both during the day and in the evening.
The graduate program includes courses in historical methods and research, concentrated study in specific historical fields (e.g., United States History, Modern European History, Latin American History, California History, Ancient and World history), and professional development for careers in teaching, archival administration, and public history. Graduates of the program have gone on to teach at high schools and community colleges, pursued careers in museums and archives, and gained admission to top-tier Ph.D. programs.
The History MA program consists of thirty units (ten classes) of coursework, followed by a Culminating Project course in which students revise, expand, and deepen a research paper with the goal of turning it into a publishable article. Alternatively, at the invitation of a faculty member students may elect to write a thesis.
Students seeking additional information about the program should contact the coordinator of Graduate Studies, Dr. Clementine Oliver, or make an appointment to meet with her by calling the History Office at (818)677-3566.
Requirements for Admission to the M.A. Program
- B.A. with a strong background or demonstrated interest in history. Students who did not major in History as undergraduates will be expected to take HIST 301 and a graduate seminar through the Tseng College before being considered for admission.
- Cumulative minimum undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 and 3.33 in upper-division and/or history courses. Preference will be given to students with a GPA of 3.5 or above in their upper-division coursework.
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty under whom the applicant worked as an undergraduate or graduate student
- A 1-2 page statement of purpose describing the applicant's academic background, career goals, historical interests, and anticipated field of study.
- A writing sample such as a research paper not to exceed 25 pages in length.
- Acceptance by both the University and the History Department.
- GRE Scores: Applicants must submit GRE scores if their cumulative undergraduate grade point average is below a 3.0. Applicants must take the GRE general test and score at or above the 50th percentile on at least one of the three sections (verbal, quantitative, analytical) in order to be granted classified status.
If you are interested in applying to the MA Program in History for Fall 2014, the deadline for completing the university application is March 17, 2014. The application can be found at www.csun.edu/mentor and will take a minimum of 8-10 weeks to process. Required supporting materials include a statement of purpose, not to exceed 2 pages, two letters of recommendation from faculty under whom you have studied, and a writing sample, not to exceed 25 pages. These supporting materials must be received no later than April 1, 2014, and should be sent directly to the History Department at the following address:
Attn: Graduate Coordinator
California State University Northridge
18111 Nordhoff Street
Northridge, CA 91330-8250