Dr. Vicki Pedone retired in May 2017 after 28 years of service to the University and was granted Emerita status in August 2017. An esteemed teacher and scholar, she taught classes in Earth History, Field Geology, Sedimentation and Stratigraphy, Global Systems, Sedimentary Petrology, Geochemistry, and Paleoclimate. Her research focused on the geochemistry and petrology of lacustrine carbonate rocks in Australia and the Great Basin of western North America. She served four years as Associate Dean of the College of Science and Mathematics, followed by seven years as Chair of the Department of Geological Sciences. Vicki led an impressive transformation of the department during her tenure as Chair, which included revising the department's undergraduate curriculum, constructing and equipping state-of-the-art laboratories, acquiring private support for graduate students and instrumentation, and hiring new staff and faculty.
Vicki greatly admired and respected students who blossomed or 'caught fire' in both their love of geology and class performance as they progressed through the major. She cherished her roll in assisting these undergraduates to reach their full potentials. Her vital efforts in this area have made the Northridge Department of Geological Sciences a special place. With this in mind, Vicki suggested initiating the "Catching Fire Scholarship" to be awarded each year to a student with these characteristics. We are now accepting charitable contributions to make her wish a reality. Please consider giving generously to the Catching Fire Scholarship at your earliest convenience. All gifts are tax-deductible to the extent provided by law.
To Donate online
If you would like to donate online, please go to the University webpage and complete the form as follows:
- Personal, Address, and Contact Information.
- Donation Information ‐ to ensure that your donation benefits the “Catching Fire Scholarship,” from the Designation drop-down menu please select: Department of Geological Sciences Scholarship Endowment.
- In the Special Instructions box, please put “Catching Fire Scholarship” and either ”friend of the Department” or your graduating class year.
- Joint Information – please indicate if this is a joint gift.
- If your company offers a matching gift program, please complete this section.
- Billing information.
- Payment Information.
The University webpage is: https://givetocsm.csun.edu/.
To Donate by check
Please make checks payable to the CSUN Foundation and note “Geo Scholarship Endowment‐‐Catching Fire” on the memo line. Please also add either “friend of the Department” or your graduating class year.