Health Professions Advisement
The Health Professions Advising Center (HPAC), a subunit of the Biology Advisement Center, is dedicated to serving all CSUN students—undergraduates, post-baccalaureates, graduate—who are seeking entrance to one of the following health professions schools: Medicine, (including Allopathic and Osteopathic medicine), Pharmacy, Dentistry, Optometry, Physician Assistant, Veterinary, and Podiatry. Its staff can also answer questions about graduate programs in nursing, forensics, and physical therapy.
- offers informal advice regarding course selection and sequencing;
- provides information about school choices; and
- helps students prepare for application and entrance to health programs and schools, including (a) reviewing and critiquing personal statements, (b) providing insight into choosing extracurricular activities, such as clinical volunteer work and research, and (c) making suggestions for improving applications.
HPAC staff will also:
- Write an official pre-health committee (a.k.a. composite) letter as required by many medical and dental schools; and
- Transmit letters of recommendation submitted by on-or off-campus referees to professional schools via its centralized letter collection service.
Committee letter: A committee letter, required by many medical and dental schools, is intended to represent CSUN’s evaluation of an applicant, including his or her GPA and likely competitiveness for professional school. In addition, such letters may highlight pertinent aspects of a student's background. Check with your pre-health advisor to see if a committee letter is required or recommended for your application.
Letters of recommendation: Additional letters of recommendation from various sources, both on- and off-campus, are typically required of health professional school applicants. Such letters are often sent along with the committee letter to the schools or the application service designated by the student or to both.
A signed and dated CSUN Pre-Health Waiver form must accompany all letters included with applications.
Dr. Terri S. Richardson, M.D., M.S.
Recommended preparation for admission to:
- Medical degree program
- Physician Assistant degree program
- Dental degree program
- Optometry degree program
- Pharmacy degree program
- Veterinary degree program
- Accelerated Nursing
In the last few years, CSUN students have been accepted to:
- University of California, Los Angeles Schools of Medicine and Dentistry
- University of California, San Diego Schools of Medicine and Pharmacy
- University of California, David School of Medicine
- University of California, Berkeley School of Optometry
- University of California, Davis School of Veterinary Medicine
- Loma Linda University Schools of Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmacy
- Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
- Western University of the Health Sciences-College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific, School of Pharmacy, School of Dentistry School of Optometry and School of Podiatry
- Southern California College of Optometry
- University of Southern California-Schools of Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmacy
- University of California, San Francisco School of Medicine
- University of the Pacific-Schools of Dentistry and Pharmacy
- Georgetown University School of Medicine
- Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
- Cornell University School of Medicine
- Tulane University School of Medicine
- Howard University School of Medicine
- Medical College of Wisconsin
- Harvard School of Dentistry
- University of California, Irvine College of Medicine
- Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine, Nevada and California
- Touro University College of Pharmacy
- St. Georges University School of Medicine
- Ross University-Schools of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine
- Concordia University School of Nursing
- Azusa Pacific School of Nursing