Research and Graduate Studies

  • current_students

Steps to Graduate for Master Students

Classification:There are University as well as departmental requirements for classification; please see the Graduate Student Information Booklet and your graduate coordinator for more information.
Formal Program:

Once classified, a student may submit the Formal Program, if program is not live on DARS (you can verify with Graduate Studies if you are not sure if your department is live on DARS). This is a department specific form that lists all of the classes that are required for the Master’s degree. This form must be approved by an advisor, the department Graduate Coordinator, and Graduate Evaluations.

Application for Graduation (form available online):

Students should apply for graduation the semester before they plan to graduate. The application and $47 fee should be submitted to Admissions and Records (located in the lobby of Bayramian Hall). There is no deadline for applying, however, the later you submit the form, the later your Graduate Evaluator will be able to send you a Master’s Degree Graduation Evaluation. This form tells you what requirements you still need to complete, or what paperwork you must turn in for your file.

Project Planning Form:

Students who are not taking a Comprehensive Exam must file a Project Planning Form. For Planning form deadlines you can view them on the Electronic Thesis Dissertation (ETD) system.

Culminating Enrollment:

Students who have already enrolled in 698 (thesis/project/abstract) and were given a grade of “RP,” but still require an additional semester to continue working on their thesis, graduate project, or abstract may enroll in the Culminating Enrollment with department approval. This form allows the student to remain enrolled in the University and provides library privileges, but not health center services, and has no unit value. The fee is paid to the College of Extended Learning. In order to enroll, a student must have: applied for graduation (or, if previously applied for graduation, file a date change form with Admissions and Records, $8 fee); classified standing, and filed a formal program with the Graduate Studies Office. Culminating Enrollment registration is subject to the "two-year time limit for completion of thesis/project."

*A note on commencement: Participation in the ceremony does not confer a degree.