Research and Graduate Studies

Funding Sources

CSU Trustees' Award for Outstanding Achievement

This scholarship opportunity is offered by The California State University, Office of the Chancellor.

The award recognizes students who have overcome adversity, demonstrated financial need, and have attributes of merit including superior academic performance, significant personal achievements, and exemplary community service. Special named scholarships will be awarded by the selection committee based on criteria such as studying in the STEM or Education fields, Veterans, and exemplary community service. The recipient who receives the highest score by the selection committee is designated the Trustee Emeritus Ali C. Razi Scholar and will receive a $12,000 scholarship.
·         The applicant must be currently enrolled as a full-time undergraduate or graduate student and plan to be a full-time CSUN student in the upcoming academic year.
·         The applicant must have a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA.
·         The applicant must be involved in community service.
·         The applicant must have overcome adversity and demonstrate financial need.
·         The applicant must file the FAFSA or California Dream Act application for the 2016-2017 academic year.

Application: Apply using STARS Online and select the “2016-2017” academic year when you log in.

Application Deadline: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 by 9:00 pm


Thesis/Dissertation/Project/Performance Support Program

Funds are available for graduate students, both masters and doctoral, working on research projects, dissertations, and theses. Awards up to $1,000 may be provided to selected students, based on review of an application which outlines the project, dissertation, thesis, or performance and anticipated costs. Costs associated with travel to a research site, supplies, minor equipment and library searches are examples of expenditures which are supported. Students may only receive support once.

Application Deadline: Monday, October 12, 2015 by 5:00 pm

Thesis Support Application (.pdf) 


Graduate Equity Program

This program is designed to increase the diversity of students completing a master’s degree and encourage further study in PhD programs. It does so by supporting the aspirations of CSUN graduate students who have experienced economic and educational disadvantages. This fellowship is only available to California residents who are admitted and enrolled in a CSUN State supported master’s degree program. Credential-only or certificate candidates are not eligible.

The program provides fellowships up to $4,000 to CSUN Master’s students enrolled in the 2015/2016 academic year. The fellowships are intended to minimize students’ debt burden, allowing them to complete their program more quickly and speed their pursuit of doctoral studies.

Application Deadline: TBA

Graduate Equity Guidelines (.pdf)

Graduate Equity Application (.pdf)


Graduate Student Travel Award

The Office of Graduate Studies provides a limited number of travel awards (up to $400) for graduate students (first author only and limited to one award per semester) who are presenting a paper, poster or performance at a peer-reviewed professional conference.  CSUN Employees are not eligible for this award.  Please download and complete the application and return it to Gloria Rocklin via email at:  .

Note: Students must first seek funds from the Office of Associated Students (AS) Academically Related Reserves Account (ARRA). This program may cover expenditures such as conference registration fees, airfare, hotel and ground transportation. For more information, contact the accounting office of Associated Students at (818) 677-2477 or Apply for Travel and Academic Funding.

Spring 2016 Application (.docx) 

Teaching Associate and Graduate Assistant

Contact your department for more information.

Associated Students Funding for Graduate Students

Below, you will find information about the types of funding available as well as the quantities you can be rewarded. For more information or to apply, please visit Graduate students can apply for funding from AS once a year for an amount up to $600 per student dependent upon the category of funding sought. Leadership / Training Conference Travel Funding: up to $500 per student attending a conference on behalf of an AS chartered club or organization. This funding is not available to individual students who are not with an affiliated club or organization. Student Travel and Academic Research (STAR): $600 per student for 10 students ($6000) per academic department. Students' work must have been accepted for presentation at the conference, and proof of this is required. This funding is for individual students NOT applying through an affiliated club or organization. Non-Conference Funding through Student Travel and Academic Research (STAR): up to $500 per student with a cap of $2,000 per project (involving multiple students). This funding is for students seeking financial assistance for academic projects that are NOT going to be presented at a conference in the same academic year. Should you have any questions, please feel free to come by the AS Student Leadership office located in the University Student Union (across from The Pub).


External Funding Opportunities

For a list of grant and scholarships from external agencies, please visit the Office of Research and Sponsored Projects Student Opportunities webpage.