Applicants who are meeting University requirements for admission and desiring admission to a master's program will be reviewed in the appropriate department. The department will determine whether or not the student meets requirements for admission to its program. Some departments may require a departmental application. Those students who meet departmental and University requirements will be admitted as either Conditionally Classified or Classified graduate students.
In order to be admitted to California State University, Northridge in a Master's program, students must meet the following requirements:
- Have a baccalaureate degree from an accredited university.
- Have been in good standing at the last institute attended.
- Have at least a 2.5 grade point average in the last 60 semester/90 quarter units attempted, independent of when the baccalaureate was granted. The entire semester or quarter in which the 60-90 units began will be used in this calculation. Lower division courses or courses taken in extension (except in concurrent enrollment at CSUN in the upper division), after obtaining the bachelor's degree will be excluded from the calculation.
- Submit departmental application as required.
- Submit all required applications, transcripts, test scores, and supporting information as required by Admissions and Records and the department.
Graduate Status Descriptions
Students who do not meet all requirements may be accepted subject to meeting various University and deparmental requirements for Classified status. It is important to achieve full Classified standing prior to completing 12 units of graduate work.
Students who meet all University and departmental requirements as outlined in the current catalog.
Applicants for graduate study must submit a graduate application along with all necessary official documents. Go to CSUMentor Graduate Online Application.
You application will be processed in two steps:
- University eligibility
- Department eligibility (inquire with department for deadlines).
If minimum university requirements are met, your application will be forwarded to the department and the Graduate Coordinator will determine eligibility for the Master's program. Students fulfilling undergraduate degree requirements at CSUN or elsewhere and intending to pursue graduate work should submit a new application to the University during their final semester of undergraduate work. Please check the current application booklet for application, document, and other deadlines.