Reporting a Crime and Filing a Police Report

The Department of Police Services responds to and investigates all crimes and incidents that occur on CSUN-owned and leased property, including a one-mile radius surrounding our campus. There are several ways in which you can contact the university police in the event of a police, fire or medical emergency. Certified police dispatchers are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

You should always report criminal activity, fire, injury, or hazards to the Department of Police Services immediately by calling our on-campus dispatch center (818) 677-2111. You can file a police report in person at the Department of Police Services (corner of Darby Avenue & Prairie Street), or an officer can be sent to your location. Select reports may be filed online. If you would like to report a crime anonymously, call the We-Tip hotline at (818) 677-TIPS (8477). If you require a copy of a police report, contact the university police’s Records Unit at (818) 677-3224. If you are eligible, you can get copies of reports for a nominal fee. 

Filing a Report Online

If you have been the victim of certain crimes or have lost property at CSUN, you also have the option of completing an online police report. At this time, the police reports, which can be submitted online, are for the following crimes:

  • Identity Theft
  • Theft from Motor Vehicle
  • Lost Property
  • Damage to Property
  • Damage to Motor Vehicle
  • Harassing phone call
  • Vehicle burglary



Submit a Crime Tip (We-Tip Hotline)

If you have been the victim of a crime, or observed a crime, it's very important to report this incident to us. We know that sometimes it’s not easy to decide to come forward. But we also know that if no one reports a crime, it’s as if it never happened and the criminal is free to commit more crime, damaging more communities and individuals lives. It’s also important to report crime for your own practical purposes, like getting a police report number so that you can make an insurance claim.

You may also report crimes or incidents "anonymously" by calling us at the "We Tip" Hotline: (818)-677-TIPS (8477). The We Tip hotline is not staffed by police personnel and is designed as a hotline to leave messages (tips) that might give us a lead to pursue an investigation. Do not use this number to report a crime in-progress. Please help in making Cal State Northridge an even safer community by calling to report criminal activity. 


Call Us

Did you know?! Dialing 911 from a cell phone while on campus will direct your call to the Los Angeles Police Department, NOT the University Police. Avoid the delay in your call being transferred to university police--dial us directly at (818) 677-2111.

Please immediately report any in-progress crime or emergency in which any person, animal, or property is in danger - by phone to the CSUN Department of Police Services.

From a land-line: 911
Dialing 911 from a campus land-line phone from will connect you with CSUN police.

From a cell phone: (818) 677-2111
Avoid unnecessary delay by programming our entire phone number into your cell phone now! 

To report a non-emergency: (818) 677-2111


Email Us

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Email us at police@csun.edu


Emergency Blue Light Phones

Emergency blue light phones are available to contact CSUN police in a police, fire or medical emergency. Over 85 emergency phones are located on major campus walkways, parking lots and parking structures. Push the button to be automatically connected to an on-campus police dispatcher. There is no need to dial a phone number. The dispatcher will be heard through the speakerphone. Police are dispatched to all blue light phone activations.