Quotes from 7th graders about why you should join a research lab
- A scientist's job looks like a lot of fun. - James
- Scientists come in all shapes and forms. - Ashley
- Who knows? Maybe I can be a scientist. - Amanda
Benefits to university students
- Opportunity to be part of a collaborative faculty-student research team
- Many projects using a wide variety of methods (surveys, focus groups, interviews) and designs (correlational, experimental)
- Empirical data-based research adds immensely to your resume/vita
- Access to data from many projects
- Opportunity to participate in conference presentations and publications
Plunkett's views on qualifications and requirements for students
- There are no qualifications other than I want to make sure that joining the lab is the best use of your time for your education and career goals.
- If you join, we will train you in everything you need to know in the lab.
- There are no specific requirements for how many months or semesters you need to stay in the lab.
- If you just want to "try it out," that is fine with me. You can't know if you like it unless you try it.
- If you decide the "A Lab" or research are not for you, it won't hurt my feelings if you use your time a different way.
- There is no minimum number of hours per week.
- However, the more you are in the lab, the more you will learn and the more opportunities you will have.
- If you are interested, just email me or come by my office hours.