Venue and Hotels
The IAU Symposium will be held 22-26 August 2010, inclusive, at the
Crowne Plaza Hotel Ventura Beach, Ventura, California, USA (phone:
888.233.9527; direct IAU reservation link https://resweb.passkey.com/Resweb.do?mode=welcome_ei_new&eventID=1444914
for dedicated phone reservation. A block of rooms has been reserved at
the hotel: you must book your room directly with the hotel before 01
August 2010. Identify yourself as part of the International
to receive the IAU special group rate
of $119 USD per night (plus taxes).
The Crowne Plaza is located directly on the Pacific Ocean within
walking distance (inland) of the City of Ventura. The Ventura Boardwalk
runs along the beach past the hotel for miles in either direction for
that early morning run or sunset stroll.
For other hotels, please see below.
Additional Local Hotels
The Ventura Beach Marriott
is located about 1.5 miles from the symposium venue and the two are
connected by a boardwalk that runs more or less parallel to the shore
line. The Marriott will offer a limited number of rooms at the
symposium price of $119 USD per night (plus taxes). When you
your reservation, please let them know you are attending the IAU
Clocktower Inn Hotel
transformed from the original historic 1940's California-Spanish style
firehouse and clocktower, is located in a beautiful park setting
adjacent to Mission Buenaventura. When making a reservation, please
mention that you are attending the IAU Symposium for the symposium rate
of $95 USD per night (plus taxes).
Other local hotels include:
The Bella Maggiore Inn,
The Pierpont Inn
Inn and Suites
, 0.3 miles
Western Inn of Ventura
, 0.3 miles
, 0.4 miles
The Vagabond Inn-Ventura
, 0.3 miles
The Comfort Inn
, 1.5 miles
Travel to Ventura:
Air travelers have several choices. The closest airport is Santa
Barbara Municipal Airport
approximately 38 miles (~38 minutes drive-time) north of the Crowne
Plaza Ventura Beach Hotel. It is a smaller regional airport but offers
direct flights to Denver, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Sacramento,
Salt Lake City, San Francisco, San Jose, and Seattle.
The next closest airports are Los Angeles International/LAX
miles) and Burbank/BUR
(also known as Bob
Hope Airport, 61 miles).
The Los Angeles/Ventura area is perhaps best navigated by automobile;
rental cars can be reserved ahead of time at your arrival airport.
Ground transportation is offered by several shuttle services and
reservations are very highly recommended, since transportation options
to Ventura are somewhat limited.
Most, but not all, shuttle services offer point-to-point pick-up and
drop-off. Other services can be located through your arrival airport's
webpage. One-way fares begin at $70 USD.
Driving Directions from Airports:
Link to Google map of Santa Barbara Airport to Crowne Plaza.
Driving Directions from Santa Barbara
1. Head South on James Fowler Rd toward Moffett Pl, 0.1mi
2. Turn right at Moffett Pl, 0.4mi
3. (Note: Moffett Pl changes its name to Sandspit Rd when it begins to
4. Continue on Sandspit Rd, 0.2mi
5. Take the ramp onto CA-217, 2.0mi
6. Take the exit onto US-101 S, 33.8mi
7. Take exit 70A for Ventura Ave, 0.3mi
8. Keep right at the fork, follow signs for Thompson Blvd, and merge
onto E Thompson Blvd/US-101, 0.2mi
9. Turn right at Figueroa St, 0.1mi
10. Turn left at Harbor Blvd, 0.2mi
Link to Google map of LAX to Crowne Plaza
Driving Directions from LAX:
1. Head south on World Way toward W Way, 1.0mi
2. Slight right at W Century Blvd, 1.5mi
3. Take the ramp onto I-405 N, 16.8mi
4. Take the exit onto US-101 N toward Ventura, 51.6mi
5. Take exit 70A for California St, 0.3mi
6. Turn left on S California St (signs for CALIFORNIA St), 325ft
7. Turn right at Harbor Blvd, 230ft
Link to Google map of Burbank to Crowne Plaza
Driving Directions from Burbank Airport:
1. Head east on W Empire Avenue, 0.5mi
2. Turn left at N Avon St, 0.2mi
3. Turn left at N Hollywood Way, 2.8mi
4. Turn right at W. Alameda Ave, 174ft
5. Slight right to merge onto CA-134 W toward Ventura, 2.2mi
6. Continue on US-101 N 56.1mi
7. Take exit 70A for California St, 0.3mi
8. Turn left at S California St (signs for CALIFORNIA St), 325ft
9. Turn right at Harbor Blvd, 230ft
For attendees staying in the venue hotel, complimentary parking is
provided in the City of Ventura parking structure adjacent to the
Crowne Plaza or, for $10 per night, in the Hotel parking lot.
For attendees not staying at the Crowne Plaza, parking can be found in
the above-mentioned City of Ventura parking structure for $2 per day.
Around Town and Ventura Harbor -- Ride
Ride the Gold Coast Transit, a 13-passenger bus painted with California
vintage woody-style sideboards reflecting the beach community image. It
operates every 20 minutes during the Summer (until September), every
day, between 7 am and 9 pm to serve Ventura Harbor, the Pierpont area,
the Fairgrounds, Main Street and California Street in Downtown Ventura.
Fare is $1.25 one way. Visit www.goldcoasttransit.org
for a map and information.
Taxi cab fare is $200-$250 USD from LAX to the Crowne Plaza.