The Transportation Program at California State University, Northridge provides free transportation to and from the campus for students with disabilities. Prior to requesting a pick-up, students must first receive a referral from the Office of Disabilities Resources and Educational Services, (818) 677-2684. Once approved, the student makes contact with the Transportation Program by emailing a copy of his/her actual class schedule to the Transportation Coordinator for placement on the schedule for the semester. Requests received without a class schedule cannot be honored.
Persons with Disabilities
What is the CSUN Paratransit Transportation Service for Persons with Disbilities?
What are the eligibility requirements to participate in the program?
Students who have been approved by the Disability Resources and Educational Services to participate in the CSUN Paratransit Transportation Service for Persons with Disabilities, and who live within a 5-mile radius of the campus. The primary focus of this program is to get students to and from the CSUN campus to attend classes.
How are passengers scheduled?
Scheduling is completed prior to the beginning of the semester. All passengers are scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis. When all of the available time slots are filled, no more pick-ups can be added to the schedule. The pick-up schedule is developed by using the class schedule provided by the student. Unfortunately, not all requests can be accommodated. To improve chances of successfully being included on the pick-up schedule, eligible students are encouraged to email their class schedule to the Transportation Coordinator as soon as possible for the upcoming semester. Depending upon the order in which class schedules are received, scheduling may require a student to be picked up early for a class, or the student may need to wait an extended time period after a class is over for his/her ride.
What are the rules of conduct for this program?
Passengers in the Paratransit Transportation Service for Persons with Disabilities must follow these basic rules of conduct:
- Emailing schedule changes is preferred, but if there is not enough time, phoning in a schedule change as quickly as possible is best. Modifications will be considered, but are not guaranteed.
- While riding in the van, obey all laws for passengers as required by the California DMV and University rules of conduct.
- Refrain from unnecessarily distracting the van driver.
- No smoking, drinking, or eating aboard the van.
- Only authorized passengers are allowed aboard the van (no visitors).
- No unauthorized (extra) stops allowed. Van transportation is strictly defined from scheduled pick-up point to scheduled drop-off point.
- Persons are urged to report unprofessional conduct or unsafe van driving to:
Outside Transportation Services for Persons with Disabilities
For information on other transportation services provided for persons with disabilities beyond the service area of the CSUN Transportation Program, please visit the Access website.